Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Never Too Much HP
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tearstone this is kinda for you but everybody chime in. i was wondering what would happen if you vent the BOV to the atmosphere and not recurulate it back into the intake running emanage. i know it would go rich for a sec but would that hurt anything or make the motor stall or anything?

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
most people have idling problems and stalling problems. like when coming up to a red light, when you go to hit the brakes, the car will stall and shutoff.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
If you have the MAF before the turbo and you don't recirculate your BOV you end up w/ a condition where your MAF is reporting more metered air than is actually in the system. This causes stall and idle issues.

I had some serious problems like that and recirulating my BOV solved them instantly.

·
Never Too Much HP
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i figured... i know my buddies talon is not recirculated and he doesnt have a prob, just wondering about us. can you still hear the BOV when you shift if it is recirculated? i am assuming one nice way to have it so its not recirculated is to use a blow through MAS?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
That would be correct but I don't think it's been pioneered on this platform... yet.. ;)

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Myrt, you can vent your BOV to atmosphere and it is definitely more audible if you do. But the problem is that your MAS has already metered x amount of air so your engine is expecting x amount of air. When you blow off, you are reducing x amount of air to a fraction. Since your engine is already putting a certain amount of fuel to match the x amount of air, you are going to run rich after blowing off and you could potentially stall the car. That's not the most efficient way to properly run a turbo system. We are currently working on the Blow off valve non recirculating feature on the e-manage now, but there are some side effects that really don't make it worthwhile.

With your BOV recirculated, it is still audible, and I can still hear mine if I am going under a bridge. On a personal note, if you have a 5 speed, you will get annoyed with having a BOV that doesn't recirculate after awhile, but that's just a personal note from Rulez and I.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
You can chalk me up to being annoyed w/ a non recirculated BOV as well. Just moving it around the shop can be a pain as you have to keep giving her some gas or she will sputter out at times.

Oh and I was referring to a blow through maf setup using like a vpc and a gm maf.... one of my projects for my car in the next few months.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Your local autozone or advanced auto parts. Just go find some radiator hose that has the bend you want w/ the diameter you need.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No stalling problem with blowing off to the atmosphere. Have the HKS SSQBV and e-Manage. Does hesitate slightly after hitting full boost and letting off due to the rich condition.

Bad effect... mileage and my spark plugs probably won't last as long as if I had recirculated.

Is it possible? Yes.
Btw - Sporty GT

(Edited)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts