Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread will be for all of my enclosure builds. I have been trying to run a little side business called "SM Customz" to make a little extra cash, so if anyone is interested, our website is Home
We have a pretty full schedule this week as far as sub boxes. We have 4 boxes to actually build and a few others possibly.

Here are some pictures of the first one, which we finished tonight. It is going to the owner of CarmaMotorsports in Atlanta, Georgia. He has been talking about offering my enclosures to his customers, which would be amazing. Anyways,
here are the pictures...

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/SM Customz/101_0346.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/SM Customz/101_0345.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/SM Customz/101_0347.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/SMCustomz/SM Customz/101_0353.jpg

·
Registered
689 Posts
wow he can build a box!!!!!!:ugh2:

Reactions: Fergie

·
Registered
689 Posts
and he doesnt even use nails or screws!!!!!!:bat:

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and he doesnt even use nails or screws!!!!!!:bat:
Take another look at the third picture...

This was one of the simpler boxes. The hard part isn't normally the building, but rather designing a box to get the best performance from the customer's subwoofer based on things like the vehicle it's going in, what kind of music they listen to, and how much space they have to work with.

·
Registered
689 Posts
or what shape square footage box u need to make to fit it in their car
but Im just playin with ya

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started a couple more boxes recently...

Local Guy. 1.3ft^3 sealed for one eD av13.2
It will be covered in black carpet.

Guy from Detroit, MI. 4.1ft^3 @ 33Hz for two 12" Kicker CompVRs. Will be covered in gray carpet.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished the one for the guy in Detroit...

I added plenty of pictures of the builds on my website. Check them out.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
Regular boxes are okay, but don't you want to do something a little more... i dunno... unique?? Something that would make people want to come to you as opposed to going to their local audio shop? Don't get me wrong it's really cool that you can build your own boxes because I know I don't have the tools to do it, but your boxes look like ordinary boxes. Think outside the bun.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
I must give you props though because you're actually doing it :D. So don't just think I'm being mean or negative about what you're doing. Maybe you could eventually try getting into fiberglass because you are clearly demonstrating patience and creative thinking -- unfortunately it would probably require just a little more than that to start doing fiberglass... he he...

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate your suggestions Sandlotje. Right now I'm still in the growing stage. By that I mean getting as many customers as possible and doing high quality work so I can earn a respectable reputation.
I plan to "think outside the bun" later down the road.
If you have any ideas, I have the tools to make it happen. So, let me know if you think you know something that would make my boxes different from others.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
Well here's a small suggestion... I think your avatar is f*ckin sweet. I don't know where you got it from, but if it is not trademarked or w/e, you should put it on all of your boxes and put a trademark or copywright on it. In fact, I liked it so much that I did a google search earlier today for a biohazard car emblem that looked like it but came up empty handed. There's also the possiblity that if it is already trademarked or w/e that you could pay that company a small fee to obtain partial rights or something. I dunno...it's an idea. That way everyone would recognize it as your work.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here's a small suggestion... I think your avatar is f*ckin sweet. I don't know where you got it from, but if it is not trademarked or w/e, you should put it on all of your boxes and put a trademark or copywright on it. In fact, I liked it so much that I did a google search earlier today for a biohazard car emblem that looked like it but came up empty handed. There's also the possiblity that if it is already trademarked or w/e that you could pay that company a small fee to obtain partial rights or something. I dunno...it's an idea. That way everyone would recognize it as your work.
One night I was searching for an avatar and happened to come across that on an avatar site. haha I added a little green border to it and have been using it ever since.
But, I really like that idea. I have thought about get little plexi tag sort of things, say 3"x3" that I could screw onto the side of the box, but haven't found anything on the internet that does the etching or whatever method used to put a symbol on plexi.
I was going to put SM Customz on the tag if I found someone to do it, but I really like your idea. I doubt I would run into any trademark problems using a biohazard symbol.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
Well, I did a quick little Google on engraving machines and noticed that most of the sites only offered brochures, rather than a price (everyone knows what that means). The sites that did offer a price were well over the $2000 benchmark, which I'm guessing would be more of a financial burden than gain on your part. The next best option is to ask a company to make a lot of say 100 copies of it.
I think it would be a wise move to go in that direction because you have to consider who your clientele is showing off these boxes. Adding a badass or really cool looking logo to the boxes would more than likely make your inqueries go up by an incredibly nice percentage.

Oh, the smallest engraver I found was like $7000, and it definitely seemed like the most economical one there. I wouldn't reccommend spending much time trying to find an engraver.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha I wasn't interested in buying the machine, but rather finding a company that does it.
Mila Displays - Custom Brand Identity Signage, POP Materials, & Watch Display Supports Cuffs
I sent that company an email to get some prices. I may go with a metal plate with screw holes in each corner. I ask them for a quote on all plexi and metal 2"x2" with a custom logo that I design. Hopefully I will get a response tomorrow. I found one site that is selling them, and if you order 100 they are only $2 each, but I'm not sure if I wanna get that many just yet. I may end up doing that, but for now, I just want about 20.

·
Cock and bulls
1,852 Posts
STIG, you should take a picture when you're finished. I'm curious to see how it turns out :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
haha I wasn't interested in buying the machine, but rather finding a company that does it.
Mila Displays - Custom Brand Identity Signage, POP Materials, & Watch Display Supports Cuffs
I sent that company an email to get some prices. I may go with a metal plate with screw holes in each corner. I ask them for a quote on all plexi and metal 2"x2" with a custom logo that I design. Hopefully I will get a response tomorrow. I found one site that is selling them, and if you order 100 they are only $2 each, but I'm not sure if I wanna get that many just yet. I may end up doing that, but for now, I just want about 20.
Sent ya an email :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts