Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know some guys have done this before.

i want to swap to brembo calipers but my question is:what do i need to do or change to do the swap on front and rear.

i know on front i need a spacer but what measure? also do i need to change the rotor for bigger size or can i keep oem? do i have to upgrade to SS brake line? or can i still using oem?

for rear caliper i don't have any idea or i need to do the same

also EVO brembo calipers are direct bolt on?
thanks

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
i know some guys have done this before.

i want to swap to brembo calipers but my question is:what do i need to do or change to do the swap on front and rear.

i know on front i need a spacer but what measure? also do i need to change the rotor for bigger size or can i keep oem? do i have to upgrade to SS brake line? or can i still using oem?

for rear caliper i don't have any idea or i need to do the same

also EVO brembo calipers are direct bolt on?
thanks

You absolutely have to change out the rotor for an EVO one. Its a completely different size.

I can't answer any questions on the rears, but I am sure its just unbolt an swap it out.

For the front, I had to replace the calpers/rotors/pads. And I went ahead and put in the SS brake lines, but while I was installing it the ends of the line looked pretty much identical leading me to believe it wasn't necessary. Oh, and i had to order some new bolts to mount the calipers, since it was a different thread than the stock calipers.

I had to get 1" spacers to clear my current wheels. There are several factors that will determine what size spacers you'll need. Wheel offset/spoke design ect....

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Having done this I'll impart some info for you!

First off the EVO Brembo's bolt up with no probs.!

Now with that said depending on your wheels, (size, offset), would depend on whether you would need spacers! ( I had spacers custom made). Now I don't use them on the track, only with the 5Zigen for the street!
I switched my race wheels to ENKI's also from an EVO, and don't need spacers with those.
As for the rears, you will need to cut off the dust sheilds so the Brembo size rotors will fit. And to reiterate as above, you have to have Brembo size, (not necessarily Brembo brand) rotors........
Hope this helps..........any more ? don't hesitate!

Reactions: steadly2004

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
if someone were to do the swap on a 03 spyder gt would you recommend that they buy new wheels in the 17x8 ~40 offset or space out the factory wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
if someone were to do the swap on a 03 spyder gt would you recommend that they buy new wheels in the 17x8 ~40 offset or space out the factory wheels.
Imagine your question was for me?

Regards wheel change, thats your choice. There are quit a number of Enki'e around if thats to your liking? Don't even know what their offset is, all I know is they clear with no probs.
I'm sure Phil (tire guru), on this site would be able to assist you in this!

Also forgot to add regards adapting the brembo's to make sure you get the attachment bolts along with the set as these are longer than our OEM!:)

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Imagine your question was for me?

Regards wheel change, thats your choice. There are quit a number of Enki'e around if thats to your liking? Don't even know what their offset is, all I know is they clear with no probs.
I'm sure Phil (tire guru), on this site would be able to assist you in this!

Also forgot to add regards adapting the brembo's to make sure you get the attachment bolts along with the set as these are longer than our OEM!:)
Not only are the bolts longer, they have a different thread pitch. I believe I bought these...http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=20&cs=77&cm=22&cd=1330 in 35mm length and washers... but my memory could be wrong. Basically I took the calipers with me into Lowe's Hardware, and figured out which thread size matched. Then went online to this place I linked to and bought the hardest bolt they had in two different lengths. I ended up using the longer of the two.

*edit* Just found my invoice:

*** Your order ***

Product #7744
Metric flat washers, Steel grade 10.9, 12mm
Quantity: 4 pieces
Price: $0.26
Subtotal: $1.04

Product #6765
Metric hex bolts, Metric full thread (tap) bolts, Steel grade 10.9, 12mm x 1.75 x 30mm
Price: $1.00
Subtotal: $4.00

Product #6766
Metric hex bolts, Metric full thread (tap) bolts, Steel grade 10.9, 12mm x 1.75 x 35mm
Price: $1.03
Subtotal: $4.12

Summary

Subtotal: $9.16
Tax: $0.00
S & H: $8.47
Total: $17.63
And just because a given wheel has a certain size/offset doesnt' necessarily mean they will clear the calipers. One good way to judge if a wheel will work, is to check whether or not they will fit on an EVO without spacers. Many people have used different wheels with they EVO's. If there is a specific wheel you would want to find out about, search on evolutionm.net and see who has tried them and their comments.

Wheels that don't need spacers > spacers + wheels

645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
e-rep for you guys thanks for all this info, by the way i have 18 x 8 wheels.
also i have the oem dual calipper, by any chance do you guys know what is the performance difference between oem dual caliper and bembros?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Thanks for the e-rep!

The diff. is night & day!

I tracked, (road raced) the car with both & the Brembo's out perform by mucho!

Keep in mind with the larger rotor Your brakes will also run cooler!

Don't understand Steadly having to purchase diff. bolts, mine worked with the OEM bolts that came with the Brembo's. Maybe because mine is a 00' makes the diff.?

Good luck!

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Thanks for the e-rep!

The diff. is night & day!

I tracked, (road raced) the car with both & the Brembo's out perform by mucho!

Keep in mind with the larger rotor Your brakes will also run cooler!

Don't understand Steadly having to purchase diff. bolts, mine worked with the OEM bolts that came with the Brembo's. Maybe because mine is a 00' makes the diff.?

Good luck!

I had to purchase different bolts than my stock caliper bolts.

My Brembo's didn't come with any bolts at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts