Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
streetz
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 00 gt and my harmonic balancer just fell apart and i have no way to charge my battery. the problem is i cant get the nut of the end of the pully ive tried everything from a cheater bar to a impact gun that normally breaks bolts clean off and the nut will not even budge. has anyone taken one off and replaced it before?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
So the battery is dead and you can't use the starter trick to get it off?

I say just get a $20 battery charger.

·
streetz
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no my alt will not work because i cant have belts on without the belt spot on the balancer. and im sick of charging my battery

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Have you tried a harmonic balancer puller? You can rent one out from autozone.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Tearstone once told that you can crank the car over to get the bolt loose. He said to use a long enough breaker bar to reach the ground just infront of the pulley. Make sure you disconnect the crank position sensor, and turn the car over once real quick. Also, make sure you are using a strong 6 point socket that is fully on the bolt.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
ok thats the best news ive heard in weeks man u know where the sensor is of the top of ur head
The plug is up by the coolant overflow tank on the block. The wire runs down towards the belts and then goes underneath the timing belt cover. An unplugged CPS will cause the ECU to deliver no spark or fuel, but the car will still crank. However, be very careful using this method. If the breaker bar comes loose, the results could be devastating.

·
streetz
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright man im going to try it tomorrow. its dark and i dont wanna mess with it in the dark. im tryin to sell the car i just put it in the members rides and its kinda hard to sell with not being able to charge the battery

·
54,424 Posts
does anyone have any more input before i try that way?
get a stronger impact gun :lol: it must be some weaksauce if it cant break that loose. if its air then its probably the compressor behind it is crappy/doesnt flow enough. if its electric then...thats why.

·
54,424 Posts
i tried both neither would work. im going to try the start trick this weekend i think.
then your impact/compressor does suck. you need a compressor that can spitout atleast 20CFM at 90psi sustained to run a good gun, most small 13 gallon compressors do 1/2 that or less. a good gun should be spec'd at no less than 300lb/ft of tq in reverse, 6000rpm, and 1200 blows per minute. anything less is shit bud, sorry to break it to you. i'm a little sketchy on the starter/breaker bar trick since its too easy for something to slip and round that important bolt or damage the starter/flywheel.

·
54,424 Posts
well it must have been bud, since it didnt break that bolt loose. if you're planning to do this sort of work often you need to drop a couple hundred on a good gun. i got an IR composite titanium series gun that not only could take that off, but could break it off as well.

·
streetz
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks alot fasteclipse00 the trick worked out great. and ya that impact gun doesnt do anything so to anyone else just disconnect the cam sensor an crank it a few times really quick. it loosens it up fine and does not hurt engine as long as the bar stays on the groud and thanks again everyone.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Is the 3000GT DOHC pulley the same dimensions as our SOHC?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts