Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, ever since I got my car there has been a little sqeaking in my rear pass side suspension, I figured it was a bushing but now it has gotten quite a bit worse and I went and looked through the entire rear end and I think I found it.

One of these chassis parts under the spare tire holder has a huge hole in it, rusted through I guess, and its starting to bend, so think it is causing the squeaking.
I'm not sure what the part is called so I haven't been able to order a new one, does anyone know what this thing is called? Its behind the sway bar links and other suspension parts.
It looks like a bolt in part so hopefully wont be too hard to replace.

Second question is what do you guys recommend for replacing it? Is there a higher performance part I can buy somewhere or should I just get an OEM replacement?

Here is the pic, its hard to really see, but this piece is behind all the rear suspension parts and looks kinda connected to the chassis
kspinazzola's uploaded images - Imgur

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
That's not a removable part, that would be a frame rail. The car is not safe to drive anymore and should really be sent to the junk yard as that is not really fixable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn

Yea i just went and looked at a friends eclipse to see what his looked like and realized that it was part of the frame, the hole that is already there has rusted to be quite a bit larger, but I have a friend that is a welder, do you think it would work if I had it all sanded down then had new metal welded on? Or am I going to need a new subframe at this point?

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Yea i just went and looked at a friends eclipse to see what his looked like and realized that it was part of the frame, the hole that is already there has rusted to be quite a bit larger, but I have a friend that is a welder, do you think it would work if I had it all sanded down then had new metal welded on? Or am I going to need a new subframe at this point?
Anything is possible with money.

But No, that is the structure of your car. Its not a replaceable part. I guess you could find a good rear end out of a junk car and weld it onto your car, but the car is not worth that kind of money. It is not a "Subframe"

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The frame rails rust on the inside, if it's rotted through like that the metal a foot or more on either side of the hole is shot also. The car is done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts