Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im a nubie, but while driving last night my power steering belt snapped mid turn, lost steering and almost slammed into a parked car, i was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem or if its only cuz i have 99,000 miles on my car.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, it's not cuz the car has 99K on it. It's cuz the belt was 39K past due for replacement. Yer supposed to replace em every 60K or so and inspect them (and replace if need be and find out what the problem is that caused the belt to wear out prematurely...) at least every 15K or so. Doing yer 30K and 60K preventative maintainence will save you these kind of headaches in the future :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
54,506 Posts
you need to replace the timing belt if you havent done so already.

also a belt will squeel like a pig with its balls in a vice 99% of the time for a long time before it snaps.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Hmmm...When my PS belt snapped, it took the other belt with it. The cause of all that was a harmonic balancer that basically came apart while I was driving.

You may want to get that checked out, too...while you're at it.

·
bollocks
19,089 Posts
Bitter said:
you need to replace the timing belt if you havent done so already.

also a belt will squeel like a pig with its balls in a vice 99% of the time for a long time before it snaps.
my elts have een squeeling during these snowstorms, but only when i am driving on the unplowed streets.
is this somethin to worry about? they got replaced at like 75-80k, im at 105k now

·
Super Moderator
54,506 Posts
yea i know you have no snow/ice traction. brake torque, if they squeel get them replaced or atleast checked out. theyre squeeling because theyre slipping on a pulley, generally a slipping belt is a worn belt but sometimes they'll slip and squeel if theyre not tensioned right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but i got kind of the same issue...i noticed the drive belt was cut on the inside area towards the engine...got it replaced with OEM belt....that one snapped in 2 days...replaced it...and this new one has lasted a "good" week and just broke today.

i changed both belts at the same time i.e drive belt(power steering) and accessory belt(for AC and Alternator) doing timing belt next (buying the full kit) but this power steering belt is giving me a headache.

Steering is a nightmare...i did a search and figured it could be the harmonic balancer (crank pulley) causing all this since it's overdue for a change...car has 120,000 miles and runs perfectly....so i ordered a brand new one and 2 new Gates performance belts (was told they're some of the strongest belts around).all parts should be here by Friday.

do you guys think that overdue harmonic balancer could be the source of the problems since the old power steering belt was damaged on the side closest to the engine and had started squealing so i changed both belts out that run on that pulley?

I appreciate your expertise

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Harmonic balancers have no service life, you change them when they split.They don't "wear out" like other parts do, They're good one day and bad then next. If they go you know it because they come right part and then you have nothing.

You're either way overtensioning the belts or your PS pump is overloading it be it the pump or fluid being bad or you have some driving habit that facilitates major drive pressures in the steering rack. You could also have a tad tensioner pulley, if the bearings are shot it could be heating up or even locking up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Harmonic balancers have no service life, you change them when they split.They don't "wear out" like other parts do, They're good one day and bad then next. If they go you know it because they come right part and then you have nothing.

You're either way over tensioning the belts or your PS pump is overloading it be it the pump or fluid being bad or you have some driving habit that facilitates major drive pressures in the steering rack. You could also have a tad tensioner pulley, if the bearings are shot it could be heating up or even locking up.

Thanks for the quick reply bro :yesway:

i'm sure it's not my driving habits lol...i've had the car since '05 ,32,000 miles...i'm at 127,000 now...just did all my suspension mounts,kyb shocks,eibach springs,prothane bushings,new control arms etc....rides like a M BMW :)

i take care of the car and this is the first issue with it (don't know why they even have a bad reliability rating on this car,it's so reliable if you take care of it)

i guess i may as well get a new tensioner pulley just in case...if it still happens then i guess it'll be the power steering pump pulley locking up right? in which case i'll get a new one....i'm also gonna check on the fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that issue today. I was driving in the city and suddenly the mitsubishi Triton with (11,000 Km) lost steering power and i had to literally pullover. On checking the problem was due to snapped power steering belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts