Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving down the road the other day and heard a terrible screeching metal on metal sound. I pulled over and looked inside the motor bay to see if I could find a problem. Saw nothing upon first inspection. Got in my car to start it and a belt blew off. Sound stopped and I lost ps and alt. A 1/2 inch drive is visible without removing any plastics from the passenger front fender.
image.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't tell if this is a 2.4L or 3.0L. I'm not too familiar with how pulleys are arranged on a 2.4L, but I've been having issues with similar noises although I've troubleshooted my problem out to be a bad bearing in the alternator pulley. The 1/2 inch drive you are referring to is the crankshaft pulley. It is on both 2.4L and 3.0L and both cars have a small plastic cover over it for easy access/viewing. It looks like this plastic part has fallen off on your car. If you lost PS and Alt than one or more of your pulleys are loose or bad. The metal on metal sound while you were driving and the fact that the belt came off would indicate that one or more pulleys are loose. You would just need to get in there and tighten everything back up. Once you do, if the noise persists than one or more of the pulleys are bad and should be replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts