Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Eclipse GT and I was replacing all the struts, front went fine but when I got to the the rear suspension I snapped the bolt holding the shock to the knuckle, and the shock still wont come away from the knuckle.

The bolt circled in red is what snapped. Would it be easier to get a different knuckle from a junkyard or after I get the shock loosened from the knuckle try and get the other half of the bolt out with some vise grips?

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I have a 2001 Eclipse GT and I was replacing all the struts, front went fine but when I got to the the rear suspension I snapped the bolt holding the shock to the knuckle, and the shock still wont come away from the knuckle.

The bolt circled in red is what snapped. Would it be easier to get a different knuckle from a junkyard or after I get the shock loosened from the knuckle try and get the other half of the bolt out with some vise grips?
Remove the knuckle and work it from there. You could try vice grip and heat it up. then if that doesn't work weld a cheater lever to the bolt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Mitsubishi sells those bolts as a separate piece, however the pin that it threads into is sold only as part of the knuckle ass'y even though it threads in to the knuckle as a separate piece. Are you replacing the rear struts? If so, just CAREFULLY cut a portion off the bottom of the strut attach "ring" and then convince it to come off. Mine were thoroughly rusted on there. I ended up cutting them off, then extracting the pin from the remains. In your case extracting the bolt leftovers may be a challenge. Bear in mind that a car at the scrapper may be just as stubborn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much of the thread is showing?
None of the thread is showing, but if I cut the shock off I should have a good 1 1/2 of thread.

Is the bolt a special order from a dealer or can I get it from a parts shop?

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
:dunno: Doesn't hurt to ask. I managed to salvage both the bolt and pin. I was lucky I guess. Anti seize and lube are your friends when re-assembling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:dunno: Doesn't hurt to ask. I managed to salvage both the bolt and pin. I was lucky I guess. Anti seize and lube are your friends when re-assembling.
Yes you were. This happened on the first rear strut so I might go threw it again on the other side too. :mecry2: But I do have brand new struts and springs so cutting the old shock is no problem but Im worried about the bolts and I have no idea what that pin your talking about looks like so Im not sure if those are good or not.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
did you break the head off? if so you are in luck, slide the shock off, then you will notice the shaft that the shock slides on is actually bolted to the knuckle. you might be able to order it or you can always goto the junkyard

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Use an impact gun if possible after soaking it with a penetrating oil of some sort. That way you are more likely to get the bolt out, and only have to fight with the actual strut itself (on the mystery pin) which will be what you cut away to access.

You'll see what "pin" I'm talking about once you get the strut removed from the knuckle. Basically the way it's put together is that the bolt (which broke) threads in to what appears to be the knuckle itself, but it's actually a separate piece which then in turn is what actually threads in to the knuckle. One end is a smooth shank with an internal thread that your bolt goes in to, and the other end is like a big bolt that threads in to the knuckle ass'y.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
Use an impact gun if possible after soaking it with a penetrating oil of some sort. That way you are more likely to get the bolt out, and only have to fight with the actual strut itself (on the mystery pin) which will be what you cut away to access.

You'll see what "pin" I'm talking about once you get the strut removed from the knuckle. Basically the way it's put together is that the bolt (which broke) threads in to what appears to be the knuckle itself, but it's actually a separate piece which then in turn is what actually threads in to the knuckle. One end is a smooth shank with an internal thread that your bolt goes in to, and the other end is like a big bolt that threads in to the knuckle ass'y.
:lol: you said the same thing i did

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
... you might be able to order it or you can always goto the junkyard
They are not sold separately from the knuckle by Mitsubishi unfortunately. I tried a little over a year ago myself. I ended up carefully extracting mine, cleaning, painting and then anti seizing both of mine. Just FYI.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
OP i got one better for oyu. i just so happen to have a knuckle laying around about to get thrown out. i can sell you the pin you want for $15 shipped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did you break the head off? if so you are in luck, slide the shock off, then you will notice the shaft that the shock slides on is actually bolted to the knuckle. you might be able to order it or you can always goto the junkyard
Yah I just broke the head off. And I will get back to you about the pin, cause I still need to the the pass side rear strut and if that gets messed up too dunno what i'm gonna do. Tomorrow i'm going to apply some heat and try and work the rest of the bolt out and go from there.

If you have the pin thing from that knuckle is there any way you could get a picture of it?

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
tomorrow sure. use freeze off by crc works miracles

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
i've heard Massachusetts was bad for rust but damn. that is pretty bad. but it's ok tou got lucky. by the way are those koni shocks?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've heard Massachusetts was bad for rust but damn. that is pretty bad. but it's ok tou got lucky. by the way are those koni shocks?
you'll notice the fine layer of sand coating everything too cause that's how MA deals with snow lol. I'm not sure who makes those shocks there oem replacements, not koni though.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
must be gabriel then. i think monroe are black and kyb are silver. did you get them from autozone?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts