Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know dead thread but I'm suffering this exact situation. I managed to salvage one side, however the other side I snapped the head right off, managed to cut the bushing off and am trying to extract the bolt... However I'm wondering if anyone is selling an extra? Where to find without buying the whole assembly for $207 from dealer or scavenging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Eclipse GT rear strut lower bolt frozen to "pin"

I have a similar issue as discussed above, but I was lucky and was able to save the driver's side bolt and pin. Not so lucky with the passenger side, cut the strut out, bolt is frozen to pin. Soaked it in penetrating oil for 2 days and heated it as well without success. Now the bolt head is rounded and useless.
Does anyone still have a good pin and bolt that they would be willing to sell ?
Please PM me and provide contact info.
Thanks !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For all who may have this issue in the future, The bolt on my 03 galant broke also, and this is what i did to get it going again without getting a new pin..
Also on mine the shock broke through the shock mount so there was a lot of pressure downward so the shock did not slide off the pin even after the bolt broke, either that or just corrosion. so i had to do a lot of cutting using my angle grinder..
I cut the shock right under where the gas is and once i did that the pin with the eye of the shock unbolted from the knuckle.
And then i did some more grinding to get the eye off, first i had to remove the outside metal i cut through it in two places and then i bent if off with a flat head.
After wards i cut off the rubber layer, i had to do that piece by piece as its glued very well, (wear gloves, cover your eyes, as the rubber melts and flies everywhere..)
And then cut through the last layer of metal carefully as the next layer after that is part of the pin and thats were the bolt sits in..
I did need to cut a little into where the hex part of the pin is, in order to cut the last layer of metal, (see pics) its not going to weaken the pin as long as you just cut like i did and don't go very deep..
AGAIN Go in slowly as not to damage the pin..
After i got that off i saw that there was no way to grab the remainder of the bolt.
THE FIX:
Heres what i did figuring that the the top of the bolt where the head broke off is where it would be most stuck as thats were water would get in and rust.. i cut a slit into the pin parallel to the head of the bolt (see pics) about an 1/8 of an inch away from where the head broke, and slowly moved all the way around until i was close to the bolt and then i grabbed my vise grips and turned the little part of the pin that was left and grabbed the pin hex (30mm) with a socket and it came off very easily.. ( in other words you don't need a whole to grab on as it will come off pretty easy an 1/8 of an inch is enough).
NAPA had the right bolt thread which is a 12mm 1.25 the length they had was about 2 inches, i needed about half of that, i cut it to size and got a small and big washer to hold the shock in place, and i was done...
Luckily they put threads deep into the pin much more then they use with the original bolt, so all in all my new bolt probably grabs more thread than the original bolt..
I doubt that the tiny bit of metal on the end thats missing will affect the strength of the pin, as the end is coned shaped so you can slip the shock on it easier so it doesn't even make contact with the shock..

The first pic shows the slit with the rest of the bolt still in the pin.
The 3rd pic shows the small slits you have to make where the hex is in order to get the last layer of metal from the shock off of the pin.
The third pic is the new bolt and washers..
The last pic shows the rest of the bolt out of the pin

GOOD LUCK!
MY PART FOR THE DIY'R.

Attachments

·
Hello :)
4,866 Posts
btt, i snapped two of those bokts and trying to locate them without buying whoke assembly. Also does abyone have part number for rear bolts or the size of it ?

Any pictures of how the pin looks like undamaged on the car ?

101 - 107 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.