Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forums and would appreciate any and all help that you can provide. I have a 03 GT-S 3.0 V6.

I have had the entire engine rebuilt approximately a year ago and replaced all belts, to include the timing belt.

I was driving on the freeway going approximately 80 MPH when I lost all power. I pulled over to the side of the road and attempted to restart the car. After two attempts I had it towed home. After getting it home and checking the battery and all connections I tried it one more time. Nothing. That is when I came to the conclusion that it was the timing belt. After I took off one of the covers I verified that the timing belt had snapped. (No idea why)

I removed the timing belt and inspected the tensioner, and it moves easily with one finger pushing it. The pulley also spins freely.

I have also inspected the markings on the cams and they are both off. My question as follows:

How do I get them to line back up with their marks, before I put the new belt on, and get the engine to TDC?

Thank you again for your time.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
How often should timing belts be changed

Just wondering. I had mine changed a while back when i changed the water pump, because i was worried about this very same thing happening.

·
Jdebarto
20 Posts
Did you change the tensioner and water pump and pulleys? I always do this so one does not seize up. I have a 4 cylinder and I know that the balance shaft belt is very close to the timing belt and if that snaps it can kill the timing belt. I hate interference motors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts