Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have an 03 GS Auto with about 80k miles on it. I got the car when it had 60k miles on it about a year ago. The car has had regular oil changes with full synthetic since i've had it. No mods have been installed on it.

The problem i've had with it seems to be after a full stop it doesn't want to accelerate fully. It will buck as if i'm giving it hard acceleration and letting off in quick 1/2 second intervals. Reverse is fine. When at a full stop it randomly will die.

I've had it to 3 different repair shops all with them not being able to find the problem. The one repair shop did replace the MAF and an o2 sensor and also cleaned out the injectors.

I don't really know where to start as far as where to look next, I did search for this problem with the only thing that came up as a similar solution was to clean the injectors. Beyond that I have no clue, and I would like to avoid taking it to a mitsu dealer since the closest one is about 20 miles away from me. I appreciate your time in reading my post and TIA for any info. :wavey:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've had slight problems when going anywhere from a dead stop, to around 30mph and between 65-70mph. so it's not just from a dead stop. Also it might be just coincidence but problems started around when we got cold weather. This is the first winter it'd been through.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
is it throwing any codes? if it is then figure out what they are and that should answer it, if not then if it were myself in your shoes i would just cover my bases all over and do a tune up on it (plugs/distributor cap/rotor). run some fuel injector cleaner like seafoam or marvel mystery oil through a few tanks, clean the MAF sensor (if it was brand new then skip this), and double check the tightness of anywhere that would let unmetered air into the intake. like the throttle body, sensors and hoses connected to the intake, etc.

edit: didn't think about the cold weather part...could be your injectors not being able to supply enough fuel for the increased amount of oxygen present in colder, denser air. you could have a bad or clogged injector(s).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to say there's no SES light on. but it does work. I'll try cleaning the injectors again tho.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It may sound stupid but if the air filter is clogged then you'll have similar problems. Its something that could be easily over looked. Just give it a try and see if it helps.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
It may sound stupid but if the air filter is clogged then you'll have similar problems. Its something that could be easily over looked. Just give it a try and see if it helps.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

scroll down to page 13-14. it shows that in fuel injected engines that clogged air filters have a minimal effect on performance because the computer adjusts the amount of fuel going in to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. now carbeurated engines are a completely different story.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air filter is fine, minus a few small leaves. I also cleaned out the injectors again with the seafoam and it helped a little but still does it without fail. Also something else i went from a dead stop to 40 mph without it happening by applying a very light amount (less than 5%) of gas on the pedal.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
It's odd that you don't have any SES lights on. Take it to get it scanned for codes anyways because sometimes they will be pending before it actually registers as a problem for your SES light to come on. Could have a bad injector...if you search the forum I believe you'll find out some way to check your injectors with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

scroll down to page 13-14. it shows that in fuel injected engines that clogged air filters have a minimal effect on performance because the computer adjusts the amount of fuel going in to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. now carbeurated engines are a completely different story.
Im just saying from my personal experience. my car sat for 3 months because my filter was clogged. I had a hard time taking off from a stop without the car jerking and the car also jerked alot during hard acceleration. took it to 4 different shops and nobody could tell me anything. i also took it to flashbluers but sometimes the simple things are overlooked and one day i changed the maf left the filter off and the car took off fine moving in the driveway until i put the filter on. the filter was a cone spetre but i replaced it and everything is fine. This may not be your problem im just stating my experience.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
Im just saying from my personal experience. my car sat for 3 months because my filter was clogged. I had a hard time taking off from a stop without the car jerking and the car also jerked alot during hard acceleration. took it to 4 different shops and nobody could tell me anything. i also took it to flashbluers but sometimes the simple things are overlooked and one day i changed the maf left the filter off and the car took off fine moving in the driveway until i put the filter on. the filter was a cone spetre but i replaced it and everything is fine. This may not be your problem im just stating my experience.
i understand. slightly clogged filters wont cause a problem, completely clogged or saturated (water) filters that start to get sucked into the intake are another issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just started it today, has trouble staying started. ses just came on, and it accelerates fine while in park. I'm about to go check the code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 01 eclipse gs. When Im at a stop and try and accelerate fast the car jerks. it feels like the motor dies then takes a little gas and keeps doing that till its doing about 30. It even does it sometimes when i give it gas slow. And also sometimes when you give it lot of gas it doesn't go much faster like its lost power. Iv taken the car to two different mechanics and they can't figure out why my car is doing that. If anyone know why its doing that please let me know cause iv put a lot of money in the car to try and fix it already

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iv read that when it rains there's water drains around the sun roof and if they get clogged then water fills up in the driver side floor board. It did it to my 01 gs eclipse

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a similar issue. 03 gts 5spd with intake and a new cat 500 miles ago. My car has no code and idles normally,but running the revs up makes itstart bucking. Just started, Idk of there's a range of speed it does that in, but since the idled is ok idk what's up. I do have background codes p0500 and p0507. From idle all the way through the rpm range it stumbled. I More testing to come but if anyone has a any idea (silver, bitter etc) , always a push in the right direction.

Update; got my car warmed up to operating temp and the stumble left. I'm thinking it's an air line. Sea foam is in my future

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Soldier_man2812
43 Posts
Does your Neutral light blink once it starts doing it? If so its your speed input sensor. I had mine go out and had similar symptoms.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts