Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the bulb size of the lightbulb that is right above the change tray underneath the HVAC controls? None of my dashlights or that light, are working and I want to see if I somehow blew all the lights (surged when my radio was stolen possibly) or if it's something else. Any ideas on that problem would help too.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
As for why they aren't working -- it's almost certainly a fuse.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but besides the trunk latch light, those are external lights only. Also, not a fuse. Checked all the fuses in both boxes multiple times.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The instrument lights are there also, but again, I invite you to use the search feature here and find the information that others have taken the time to collect and post.

Also, checking fuses with anything other than an ohmmeter is worthless.

If you've taken anything apart in the dash, check that the rheostat (dimmer) is connected. Otherwise, it's a fuse.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've searched already as I've been thinking of replacing the LEDS in my interior, unfortunately most posts I've seen are exactly about that. Replacing your interior parts with LEDS. I have tested all the fuses with and ohmeter already, and as I said, it's not a fuse. I do remember hearing someone mention the dimmer switch, so I'll look into it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that it matters, but why move it? Wouldn't this classify as "Audio/Electronics" over "Show/Shine"?

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
The bulb size chart is in Show/Shine, and this directly relates to that. Car audio and electronics relates to just that, car audio (radios, speakers, subs, amps, etc) and the related electronics (eq's, radar detectors, mobile video, etc.).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch, thanks for that... but once again, I've checked all the fuses repeatedly with an ohmeter, so I know it's not a fuse!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While we're on the topic of lights, for the clockpod, cubby hole, and HVAC controls, do you use the t1.5 LED bulbs (#74 with a twistlock)
or do you use the wedge base one
?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
You want the twist lock for the clock pod and the cubby. I don't remember on the HVAC.

What else is not working? If it is just the dash lights, then it has to be the rheostat, or fuse #8. It is a very simple circuit. Those are the only two points of failure unique to that circuit.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Basically all internal lights except for the two lights on my mirror and the clockpod lights don't work. There's no lights in my dash whatsoever. However the "dimmer" setting on my Alpine head unit does work if that means anything.
Also, sorry to keep two seperate conversations going, but do you know which 194 bulbs I need for the dash lights themselves? Is it the 4-LED Wedge Base, the 6-LED Wedge Base, 9-LED Wedge Base, the 12-LED Wedge base, or does it not matter as the LED's only determine how bright it will be?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
I think people have used several different lights. It would be best to see which bulbs others have used and judge how you like the look. You want to avoid excessive bright and dark spots. Whichever you choose, take note of the detailed specs (they have diagrams with all dimensions listed. You have to ensure that the package will fit through the hole in the circuit board.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, thanks. Most people just say "size #194" without any specifics. Guess I'll delve even deeper. Thanks for the help and I'll post up once I actually get a chance to look at the dimmer switch.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
It is telling that your clockpod remains lit. It is lit by a different circuit (why it is lit when your headlights are not). I bet that if you turn on your headlights, it goes dark.

If the gauges work despite not being lit, that further confirms fuse #8 as the culprit. Don't bother testing it. Just replace it.

EDIT -- just saw that you had not yet checked the dimmer. Replace the fuse if that's not it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the clockpid dims when I turn the headlights on. So since my speedometer and all that still work despite not being lit up, you think it's fuse #8? I wonder if I have a fuse sitting around the office... I'll get back to you in a bit. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, just checked Fuse #8 (the one under the hood right, not to the left of the steering wheel?) and replaced it with another 10 amp fuse that I had. To the best of my knowledge, it did not get my interior lights working. It's pretty bright out and I only had my hand to cover up the dash, but I'm pretty sure they're still down. I'll wait until tonight and also check the dimmer when I'm not at work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts