Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3197

Here is the post I created 2 years ago when this all started.
That is when I chipped the Pistons. The Tranny pices are after I installed the SDS. I was pulling out of the hotel room in Richmond to race in the NOPI event there. Needless to say I didn't make it. That is the last time I will drive the car to the race track. I have access to a trailer now and when I finally get the bugs worked out will tow it to the track.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
That looks like the diff, ring gear, and output shaft that I took out of my transmission that last time the diff blew up, except all the teeth sheared off of one of the gears :lol: I think a little piece of spider gear got ran between the two gears causing the chipping on the ring gear and out put shaft. I ended up getting a low mileage junkyard transmission, because the ring gear was close to $200, and I didn't want to strip the output shaft. Are you going to put a LSD in? BTW, that black glazing on the pistons is from detonation.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,043 Posts
I remember when you brought those pistons up to the meet. So is the beast up and running yet???

·
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clipse3GT said:
Yup those pistons were damaged by detonation, running lean under high rpms.

Nope,,, I didnt even make it to the 60' when it blew. Had a intake backfire with the nitrous. I got a little excited and went WOT to soon. It was only at 1500-1800 RPM. The black was probably caused by me after trying to tape back up the pices of the MAF and get it back home. It still ran but I didnt make it more than 1/2 a mile before having to call a tow.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
The black on top of the pistons is carbonization from a rich running condition. The chipped part of the pistons is from being lean and melting.

·
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fasteclipse00 said:
What is the part number on that quaife?

I dont know the exact part # The invoice just says Quaife differential, 3G.

I am having the same problems with leaking like many other's on the board.

·
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PharmEcis said:
The black on top of the pistons is carbonization from a rich running condition. The chipped part of the pistons is from being lean and melting.

Hey Greg,
Anything new on the 3' cat back you were working on?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
I'm replacing my current ooooooooold Westinghouse TIG welder this week w/ a brand new Miller Dynasty 200DX and parts should start to come out of the shop by the end of January. Don't mean to thread hijack but I should have a few different upgrade parts for FI users available in the first quarter of this year.

On another note, who was it that said that the dohc heads wouldn't work on our cars because of coolant passages being different? I just test fitted a set about an hour ago and they bolt right up perfectly. Fitment in the engine bay is a different story.. but I'll figure that one out soon enough.. ;)

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
PharmEcis said:
I'm replacing my current ooooooooold Westinghouse TIG welder this week w/ a brand new Miller Dynasty 200DX and parts should start to come out of the shop by the end of January. Don't mean to thread hijack but I should have a few different upgrade parts for FI users available in the first quarter of this year.

On another note, who was it that said that the dohc heads wouldn't work on our cars because of coolant passages being different? I just test fitted a set about an hour ago and they bolt right up perfectly. Fitment in the engine bay is a different story.. but I'll figure that one out soon enough.. ;)
VR4 heads?

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
DUH..... we use he EXACT same block as the 3000gt sl's and vr-4's..... this isnt old news..... Sure it will bolt up to our block, but the fitment in the engine bay is the issue. Alot of 3000gt parts are usable with this motor.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
callmeebryan said:
DUH..... we use he EXACT same block as the 3000gt sl's and vr-4's..... this isnt old news..... Sure it will bolt up to our block, but the fitment in the engine bay is the issue. Alot of 3000gt parts are usable with this motor.
:lmfao: No shit...

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
callmeebryan said:
You need to stop coming off as a smart ass for someone who hasn't been around very long. There was at a time a consensus that the heads would bolt up but the passages were not the same and hence unusable. Since that might have been 5 years ago and on the original forums.. I forgive you for being ignorant, you've only been around what.. a year?

You know.. coming from someone who got in way over his head trying to figure out a auto to manual swap and had to ask me even the most retarded of questions.. you should stfu.. :fawk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts