Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tearing apart my dashboard to get the HVAC system out so I can change my shifter cables, and I was thinking...is there any way for me to retrofit my existing HVAC system to accept the factory cabin air filter option? P/N MR500360

It looks like all you'd have to do is dremel it out and pop it in, but I wanted to double check before I ordered the filter/tray unit.

Thanks!

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,055 Posts
It's very easy to do: After the 2000 models, Mits just molded a cover that can be punched out with a screwdriver. I did it years ago an it was a piece of cake. Just try not to drop any bit of plastic into the lower ducting.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Super helpful. Loads of shit stuck in the cores due to lack of filter. Previous owner complained of lack of heat and cool and poor airflow.
Well I pulled out 2" of lint dirt leaves and other junk. Never want to do that again

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to cutting out the hole for the cabin air filter. I used a box cutter, but I'm sure a good exacto knife would work better. The biggest thing here is to make sure the lines are straight so the filter can seal AGAP with the box. It does make a noticeable difference in air quality, glad I did it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so far all I have been able to do is cut out the seal and put the air filter in without something sealing it (I tested the A/C and the fan still blows without issue). I need to go to the junk yard and find the cabin air filter holder off an older model. .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think maybe only the 2000 are set up for the cabin air filter. I've got a 2001 and it doesn't take an air filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
so far all I have been able to do is cut out the seal and put the air filter in without something sealing it (I tested the A/C and the fan still blows without issue). I need to go to the junk yard and find the cabin air filter holder off an older model. .
Rather than search junk yards, you can buy the filter & frame tray complete assembly, part number MR500360 currently available at Walmart online for $28....

then you can just replace the filter element after that since the filter is removable from the frame. In fact, you can buy any kind of filter element, even a HEPA filter, and cut it to size to fit the frame.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think maybe only the 2000 are set up for the cabin air filter. I've got a 2001 and it doesn't take an air filter.
All 3G Eclipses are designed for a cabin air filter, but they just didn't bother installing them in the later year models. Search this site on how to cut out the slot behind the glove box and then use part # MR500360 making sure the plastic tray holder comes with the kit if you buy it online.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
517 Posts
Thank you Sisyphus58 for the link to the filter... I have already trimmed the heater box but could not find the face plate to seal it back in. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sorted through a few 3g's at the junk yard and finally found a tray in one of them. I took out the really dirty cabin air filter, used some vinyl cleaning wipes to clean it, and then inserted it in my car without issue. Retrofitting a tray really works! Don't be afraid to break the seal off if you want to.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
36 Posts
I sorted through a few 3g's at the junk yard and finally found a tray in one of them. I took out the really dirty cabin air filter, used some vinyl cleaning wipes to clean it, and then inserted it in my car without issue. Retrofitting a tray really works! Don't be afraid to break the seal off if you want to.
All new retrofit kit is only $27 from Mitsubishi parts. Time is too valuable to waste crawing around in old junk cars. This is on my "to do list" for winter maintenance. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
517 Posts
But it will if you cut the piece out and then the new filter slides right in and held in place by two screws..

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
36 Posts
Read this old thread today. My 2001 GT Spyder does not have a filter. Today I ordered the parts to change that.
...J.D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Read this old thread today. My 2001 GT Spyder does not have a filter. Today I ordered the parts to change that.
...J.D.
You don't need to order anything if you just go through a car junk yard and find a car with a cabin air filter holder.
All you have to do is cut out the plastic that is in the way and it slides right in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the parts to do this the other day. Probably will not get to this until the weather cools down. I am thinking I will also pull the blower fan out at the same time and clean out in there. If it has run 20 years with no filter installed, it is probably not a bad idea. ...J.D.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You may get some debris in the blower, but debris really collects underneath the AC condenser. You can remove the duct that connects the blower (behind the glove box) to the condenser (behind the center console). My car is garaged most evenings so it's not as exposed as some peoples' cars. Here's what mine looked like after 20 years. I vacuumed up all I could, then used a blow gun on the end of my compressor to blow out the rest. Then a whole can of foaming no-rinse evap coil cleaner to get rid of the grimy dirt build-up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts