Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in general but feel like that was the wrong place. Still pretty new here. Can I take a engine out of a 02 eclipse gt auto (v6) and put it in a 03 Eclipse Gt manual? Seems simple but would like to know for sure

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, the engine will swap over just fine. As there are no differences between the blocks. You will just have to switch the flywheel and flex plate too.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the engine will swap over just fine. As there are no differences between the blocks. You will just have to switch the flywheel and flex plate too.

So the 03 we’ll call silver and the 02 we’ll call blue. If I’m taking engine from blue to put into silver I need silvers flywheel? Or blue?

·
Registered
167 Posts
So the 03 we’ll call silver and the 02 we’ll call blue. If I’m taking engine from blue to put into silver I need silvers flywheel? Or blue?
I can see now where i might have confused you, but if you're going to be driving silver, which has a manual transmission you will need to put the flywheel from silver's engine onto blues engine for when you install it. Flywheel is for manual trans cars and flexplates are for automatic trans cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see now where i might have confused you, but if you're going to be driving silver, which has a manual transmission you will need to put the flywheel from silver's engine onto blues engine for when you install it. Flywheel is for manual trans cars and flexplates are for automatic trans cars.

Yup. That kinda clicked in my head shortly after my post. I wasn’t quite awake yet. Haha.

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
132 Posts
No if you are taking the engine and 5 Speed transmission from one car and installing both engine and trans in a different car then you don't have to change anything. But if you are just taking the trans only and installing it in a different car then yes you need to swap flywheel (5 Speed) and flex plate (automatic) but check the flywheel you probably want to take it to your local machine shop and have them surface it, and purchase a new clutch and pressure plate so you get the performance that you expect out of that 5 Speed but if you install the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate as is you will be very disappointed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No if you are taking the engine and 5 Speed transmission from one car and installing both engine and trans in a different car then you don't have to change anything. But if you are just taking the trans only and installing it in a different car then yes you need to swap flywheel (5 Speed) and flex plate (automatic) but check the flywheel you probably want to take it to your local machine shop and have them surface it, and purchase a new clutch and pressure plate so you get the performance that you expect out of that 5 Speed but if you install the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate as is you will be very disappointed.

the mt trans is staying the mt car The engine from the auto is going into the mt car

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
132 Posts
Then take take the flywheel from manual trans engine and put it on the automatic engine when you put the automatic engine together with the manual trans but like I said you need to go get your flywheel surfaced to make sure it's in good shape and have them put a nice flat surface on it and replace your pressure plate and clutch so you don't have any issues after you put it all together the engine and trans is a pain in the ass to get in and out and there's no sense putting it in with used parts any more questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fun fact the manual trans clitch and plate was Roasted when i ibought it littereally fell apart when i pulled the tranny tomorrow marks the start of this adventure got the engine and tranny out of the Manual chassis taking the auto down tonight and going to start ppulling it. Any clue if i'm going to run into any issues using the M/T PCM with the A/T Engine? and all plugs and clips should be the same? (Ecluding engine/trans mounts). FYI for anyone else messing with swaps or just changing mounts the trans mount for the M/T can be a royal pain to track down for purchase.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought you were just doing the engine, not transmission as well. If you go that route you will have a lot more work ahead of you and you will have to swap the ecu.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
fun fact the manual trans clitch and plate was Roasted when i ibought it littereally fell apart when i pulled the tranny tomorrow marks the start of this adventure got the engine and tranny out of the Manual chassis taking the auto down tonight and going to start ppulling it. Any clue if i'm going to run into any issues using the M/T PCM with the A/T Engine? and all plugs and clips should be the same? (Ecluding engine/trans mounts). FYI for anyone else messing with swaps or just changing mounts the trans mount for the M/T can be a royal pain to track down for purchase.
Are you by chance going to junk the car that you are cannibalizing if not then are you going to part it out and if so I very much would like to purchase the right side driprail MR349648. Now I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules or not but I hope not but sometimes you do what you need to do and I really need that part bad that driprail basically is the last exterior piece that I really need and I have been looking for this part for a very long time I think almost 3 years now. So if interested contact me as soon as you can I'm not really sure how but I come to this website every day to read the articles oh and by the way and this is going to sound pathetic and picky but I really need for that driprail to be in outstanding condition I know I'm asking a lot but the left side driprail is a brand new OEM part. So let me know please when you have a chance and good luck on the swap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought you were just doing the engine, not transmission as well. If you go that route you will have a lot more work ahead of you and you will have to swap the ecu.

Does no one read the full post? Or do I just confuse people. I’m simply taking the engine from a 00 gt A/T And putting it in a 03 gt m/t

·
Low and Slow.
1,829 Posts
Any clue if i'm going to run into any issues using the M/T PCM with the A/T Engine? and all plugs and clips should be the same? (Ecluding engine/trans mounts).
The engine doesnt care what transmission youre hooking it to. As long as its a GT V6 from a similar model (00-05), and you use the same type of transmission that came with the car, you can drop the engine in and everything will hook right up and it will run just fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does no one read the full post? Or do I just confuse people. I’m simply taking the engine from a 00 gt A/T And putting it in a 03 gt m/t
I did read it, but I must have been sidetracked when I posted yesterday. Like pearl said, there shouldn't be any issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To bring this back to life, Finnaly got all parts on hand, while ive been waiting ive gone through and cleaned stuff up a bit and did some R&R to the Donor engine. Will be going down tonight to get started on throwing new engine in, Went with a Fidanza Flywheel and Exedy Clutch. I've read some horror stories of the Flywheel install but am hoping im lucky enough to not have any major issues. Anything i should specifically note when reinstalling everything? Also i do not have a lift for the car, that said, will it be easier to install engine+trans at same time ( basically how i removed them from donor car) or engine first and then lay under car for trans install? (as i did for the receiving car) Seems like a no brainer but am wondering if there is any issues with doing it the first way.

Also, when i removed the flywheel from the engine with the M/T, there was 2 little plates with matching holes to the flywheel, What are these called, and do i need to use them with the Fidanza?
Sorry for the tons of questions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
everything on the swap worked all except for the distributor it needed swapped over from the old engine to get the car running, just in case anyone runs into this in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts