Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at a red light and I saw this car coming behind me fairly quick and I put it into first and attempted to leave, but she was coming so fast, she just hit me so hard it took the radio cover off lol.

So this is the damage -- I haven't personally talked to my insurance agent but I have filed a claim a day ago.

I am kinda wondering if this could be fixed, or if I should move on?
Should I part out the car? Take the check?
I will update tomorrow on what everything will be!

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I never expected to be hit and then a day later, told I may not be able to repair the car.

I loved this car lol even though it gave me issues at times. All I do is drive endlessly and I feel comfortable with what I drive so it sucks to give this car up.

I just need to know if it could be fixed! And, I am really hoping a few people who knows about body work could reply! I know a few friends that do it, but unfortunately, the one guy had passed away and they may not be doing it anymore.

So pictures are here!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, it was tough to open my door at first, but it is like that all the time (slightly) because it had front damage before I owned it.

I mean, isn't it still drivable just with the wrinkle? Of course I would replace the bumper and taillight, but it seems like that could be popped out.

Again, I'm not really sure.

I just looked and it is the bumper, and the wrinkles, but then I looked near the tire and I see some metal and not sure what it is! It looks the piece above the side of the bumper could be bent back so easily.

·
54,328 Posts
driveable maybe, depends how bonked up the alignment is. Safe? No. it's been crushed, hit in the rear or side again it may crush into the passenger cabin in some unsafe way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so if they consider it totaled, what would happen?

They would either give me the check for the amount with the private party estimate, or compare cars around me in that same condition and give me the price of that?

I am researching and a lot of the sites are providing information, but it seems like they are talking about the damaged cars drivers fault, not someone else's.

I am a bit 'new' to this claim process. If it was the others fault (same insurance company - StateFarm), wouldn't I get the amount equal to a similar car near me? I just find it odd that I am close to losing my car and giving it up for $1,800 when it wasn't even expected at all, nor my fault. I am wondering if they would quote me on the private party value, or the estimate of getting a new car?

Ah.

The cars near me are around $5,000 for an eclipse. The lowest is $4,000, but he is a VERY nice agent and I think he would help me get 'the average.'

So would I present him with an estimate of what I think I should receive?

This woman came flying into me at 40+ and my wrist still hurts. I was going on a night drive and next thing you know, I am going to have to 'deal' with $1,600.

So I need some advice lol - unless there is a forum particularly for this, but haven't found one yet.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
it needs to be said

that will buff right out

where'd the $1800 and $1600 number come from?

if she rear-ended you, it's definitely her fault, so her insurance should be taking care of EVERYTHING. there is no deductible when it's not your fault...

depending on where your hand was, it could be normal for it to be aching a little. the major thing is that it isn't broken.. but if you have a question about it, get it checked out-- it should be covered by her insurance.

but, the most important thing is that you walked away from it largely unscathed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So most of the members on here aren't too helpful at all, I expected a post like that one lol. With Club3G, you can't expect anything helpful. :/ :facepalm:

Nah, my wrist is fine for now! She hit me pretty hard, so it's normal. I was a volunteer firefighter and attended many accidents, so I could have easily called in EMS. I have a few friends in EMS. :p I could have exaggerated a little like many people do, but it wasn't really needed lol.

Uhm, the $1,600 and $1,800 was the private party value from both Edmunds and NADA.

Thanks for the help though. Her and I have the same insurance, and maybe the same agent, so hopefully he will work it out later today.

Standby for an update.

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,426 Posts
So most of the members on here aren't too helpful at all, I expected a post like that one lol. With Club3G, you can't expect anything helpful. :/ :facepalm:
:rolleyes: You're an idiot.

·
Aple juic is my beer
8,831 Posts
looks Like it may have been hit there before.

Looking at the photo you took of the damage in the wheel well, you can see that holes were drilled and bondo had seeped through and created those snake like clumps.

Also the paint should not have flaked like that. you can tell that the paint is on bondo and the bondo flaked off the body.

I'm going to say its totaled.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
:rolleyes: You're an idiot.
Haha thanks. :) I appreciate the negative rep - I wouldn't have treated you like that.
The Grand AM Owners Club forum is full of helpful people and when my sisters car has an issue I can't find on that forum, right when I post, I get the most perfect answer. Not so much on here (you get called stupid for asking a question), but I like Club3G and it's the reason I'm holding onto this car. :) Just don't prove me right though with what I said.

He was just being silly! I don't take it as 'members not being helpful' haha.

looks Like it may have been hit there before.

Looking at the photo you took of the damage in the wheel well, you can see that holes were drilled and bondo had seeped through and created those snake like clumps.

Also the paint should not have flaked like that. you can tell that the paint is on bondo and the bondo flaked off the body.

I'm going to say its totaled.

Eh, okay that's what I expected.
It had front damage before, but I can expect it having rear damage because my door would hesitate just a mere amount to open. Well, since it's wrinkled, it hesitates slightly a little more.

Thanks for all the help though guys!

Hey guys -- so I will need your help soon! They said I could possibly buy back the car after they give me a check, so I'm thinking about doing that and selling the parts? New tires - clutch (10,000 miles?) - a bunch of new parts.

However, her insurance is paying FULL coverage, her adjuster said. So I'm wondering if they will repair the car, no matter the cost, OR if it means I don't pay the deductible. I'll update later to see if it is worth buying back the car. :)

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
So most of the members on here aren't too helpful at all, I expected a post like that one lol. With Club3G, you can't expect anything helpful.
The buffout comment? You were starting to sound like you needed some humor..

Once they value the car, a percentage of that value is the max of what theyll pay to fix it. Below this number, your car gets repaired. Above that number, the car gets totaled out and you get a check for the overall value..

I dont remember the numbers so i wont even take a guess at them..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So most of the members on here aren't too helpful at all, I expected a post like that one lol. With Club3G, you can't expect anything helpful.
The buffout comment? You were starting to sound like you needed some humor..

Once they value the car, a percentage of that value is the max of what theyll pay to fix it. Below this number, your car gets repaired. Above that number, the car gets totaled out and you get a check for the overall value..

I dont remember the numbers so i wont even take a guess at them..
Haha eh I did need some humor -- just took it the wrong way -- it's alright, it's cool now. I guess I expected that and didn't take it in a humorous way.
I apologize haha but you did answer my question and thank you!

I am getting $4,500 in a check -- which overall is good because I paid $3,200 for the car. However, it has 4 new tires, new clutch (with maybe 10,000 miles), and pretty decent engine (151,000 miles) parts. I'm not sure whether you guys sell the engine whole, part out different parts, or just scrap it.

So the buy back is a little over $400. If anyone see's this reply, do you think the $400 is worth it? Do you think I could sell the parts that remain clean and such and get more than $400?

I feel like I'm going to find a car like mine, and give the adjuster the price so she can match it. I learned by an auto accident lawyer that they give you the lowest range first, and then if you make a counter-offer, it is law that they need to make it fair. So if I find a decent car like mine, I'm going to show it to her. Someone on here did the same thing, and he actually found a nicer car cheaper than the check, and had money left over. So I'm not sure which route I'm going to take, but definitely trying to find a car like mine and getting that price.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I definitely need advice on parting this out and this is the place to come for that.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts

Haha eh I did need some humor -- just took it the wrong way -- it's alright, it's cool now. I guess I expected that and didn't take it in a humorous way.
I apologize haha but you did answer my question and thank you!

I am getting $4,500 in a check -- which overall is good because I paid $3,200 for the car. However, it has 4 new tires, new clutch (with maybe 10,000 miles), and pretty decent engine (151,000 miles) parts. I'm not sure whether you guys sell the engine whole, part out different parts, or just scrap it.

So the buy back is a little over $400. If anyone see's this reply, do you think the $400 is worth it? Do you think I could sell the parts that remain clean and such and get more than $400?
just fyi-- scrapping a car yourself is nearly worthless. the places around me will take a complete car for $100-150..

regarding parting it out, the major question is if you have the time and garage/driveway space to do so..

figuring you get $200 for the motor, $100 for a clean dash, $50 for clean door panels, and $100 for the seats, you'd be ahead by $50(pulled those numbers out of my head, i don't know exactly what those parts are worth)...

but the problem is that selling just those few parts could take months-- even if some of those prices are really low...

·
RS-T in the making
303 Posts
Just take the money let the insurance have the car an get another and build it better. I wish i wouldve done that when mine was hit in the same way but i said no ill fix it and it just wasnt a good idea. Dont buyback the old car, if you really liked that one as much as you say itll only bring back painful memories and then the imaginations of what physical damage couldve happened to your or for say a passenger (i.e. a loved one) i love your enthusiasm to get another do it, but let the old one die. Hope your wrist is better by now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
DipSyndicate.com
256 Posts
I regret not parting a totalled car I had back in 2003... I was part of an Enthusiasts group like this and everyone had aging cars that needed parts replaced, much like this forum. You could make a killing if you have the time and space.

The ash tray alone is a hot commodity around here... Guys wanted $25 + shipping for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts