Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I installed prothane mounts I have had vibration when accelerating... almost like a wheel out of balance. I got my wheels checked and they're fine. It doesn't do it all of the time either, Just under certain loads. can play between my rear mount and the bracket cause this? the metal center piece bolts up tight but the mount insert is not sandwiched tight so there is about an inch of room between it and the bracket.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Well additional vibration is supposed to be felt in the cabin after adding harder motor mounts. The 1" gap/spacing between your rear mount and the mount bracket seems unusual to me though... I imagine that may allow the engine to "slide" sideways a very small amount.... :dunno: My rear mount seemed to be the "snuggest" of the 4 and had no free play what so ever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It HAS to be sliding back and forth on the center sleeve and causing the wobbly feeling under acceleration. I thought it was my exhaust because I installed it at the same time, but I went and got better hangers... it won't budge. Do you think that if I took the center out and cut it flush with the mount it would help? Or do you think it would cause alignment issuesonce I tightened the bolt down...?
By the way, I looked closer and there's more than an inch.. more like 2 or more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
are you sure the prothanes were installed correctly? There should be no gap whatsoever. I had to grease a few up just to fit.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
are you sure the prothanes were installed correctly? There should be no gap whatsoever. I had to grease a few up just to fit.
My thoughts exactly. My firm mounts were harder to install than OEM mounts because they have smaller "gaps" than the OEM ones. I'd say either one (or more) of the mounts are installed wrong (hard to imagine how though!) or one of the was manufactured wrong. I don't think any of my OEM mounts even had 2" of gap between the mount and the mount bracket. That seems VERY excessive. :dunno: Got a pic?

·
Registered
38 Posts
im not really sure...i would check with 04gsNA...he has prothane motor mounts and i think he could really help u out...his aim screen name is Club3gDOTcom...lemme know what happens!

·
Registered
358 Posts
:idea: are you sure those mounts were for the gt and not the gs? Iirc, the rear mount is smaller on the gs, but in the same physical location as the gt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's kind of cut and dry for the install. the prothane was pressed into the mounts. I don't have a pic yet, but the front AND rear are NOT snug between the BRACKET that you bolt your mount to. it's like the metal center sleeve that the bolt slides through is a little too long. I might try to cut the excess flush with the material and tighten it back down and see if it works.
They are the gt specific ones by the way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took the rear mount off today and took the excess off and it fixed the problem. The bolt sleeve was a little too long but now its snug in there. I just don't understand why it's always something that's a pain to get to/ remove.
Anyway, I'm happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts