Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Last night somebody broke into my car by smashing the passenger side window. He didn't have what to steal from my car, yet he distroyed the window, the dashboard and the radio trying to pry it out... I'm thinking of installing an alarm but I don't know what to look for. I'd like something affordable that will sound when somebody touches the car or the window, nothing very fancy... I would appreciate any ideas on good alarms out there.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Circuit City has some pretty good deals on alarms, and good installation rates.
:agreed:

Couple questions to help you pick an alarm:

Do you want remote start?

How far are you from where you park your car?

What do you mean by "touches the car or the window"?

Look at anything made by DEI (Python, viper, clifford, etc.). For the best security, you are going to want a 2 way paging alarm so the remote can alert you if you are not within earshot of the alarm. Also, you may want to look into a proximity sensor to give your car a "bubble" of protection (will give warning chirps and full alarm depending on how close they are). Another sensor to look at is an audio sensor which detects the sound of breaking glass.

The most effective part of an alarm is the installation. Make sure the installer is going to solder and heatshrink/tape all connections (butt connectors are crap). The brain and siren must be hidden in hard to reach locations so they are not easy for the thief to get to. Check out MECP's alarm install thread. :twothumb:

Check out Directed Electronics - Security & Remote Start | Home Theater | Satellite Radio | Car Audio & Video for all their alarm models and get back to us on some options and we can give you further advice!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me try to explain more what I want:

- I don't need remote start
- My car is usually parked pretty close, but not in visual range... yet probably I will hear the alarm, if not me, the neighbours that have the windows towards the parking lot will hear it for sure :)
- By touching the car I mean that the alarm should sound before somebody tries to break in... when you mentioned the audio sensot that detects glass breaking, no, I don't want it, since if the glass is broken is already too late... I don't want to replace the glass anymore.

I'm not that afraid that the whole car will be stolen (it has the factory anti theft engine immobilizer, which I hope works), but I want something to protect the car against vandalism, keying and window breaking. Usually there is nothing in my car worth of stealing and in sight, but I don't want my car ruined again... So I want something that will make the thief/vandal change his mind and pick another car, like big alarm stickers, flashing LEDs and "touch" sensor, if something like this exists, maybe proximity sensor also, yet I'm afraid that with the proximity sensor if a squirrell will pass by, the alarm will wake everybody :)

I'd like also to install a different alarm on my wife's car, a 2003 Dodge Neon that doesn't have a factory anti theft engine immobilizer and doesn't even have a keyless remote entry... It would be nice if that alarm will allow this even if the car doesn't have it installed from factory.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
So I would definitely go for the proximity sensor. It will not get set off by a squirrel so do not worry about that. There is no such thing as a "touch" sensor. All alarms come with a sticker and single LED. If you want the installer to add additional LED's then they will just charge you accordingly.

Does your wife's Neon have automatic/electric door locks? If so, then any alarm that also does keyless entry will work. Heck, you could put the same alarm in both cars. Most alarms with keyless entry also come with starter kill as an option that the installers can add, again for an extra fee. If your wife's car does not have automatic/electric door locks, then actuators will have to be added to each door that you want the alarm to be able to lock/unlock.

I would look at the Python 702 (or it's Viper/Clifford equivalents) as it has the 2-way paging feature, as well as keyless entry and optional trunk release and starter kill. The proximity sensor is extra, as well as installation of it. Unfortunately Circuit City does not carry the 702, so I would suggest going to an AUTHORIZED dealer/installer so that you can take advantage of DEI's lifetime warranty. The 702 should not cost more than $300 installed (plus the prox sensor and it's install).

·
Ancient
433 Posts
First, did you have the stereo face on? Thieves usually go for easy.

IMO, proximity sensors are worthless. Sometimes they false for no reason and other times you can stick your hand into the car and they do nothing. They also have a hard time seeing through both metal and tint. Unless you have a convertible and no tinted glass don't bother with it.

A shock sensor is all you really need. If someone attempts to break your window it will go off. If they break it on the first try then not much would have stopped them anyway.

A 2-way pager is a good investment. The one time someone tried to break into my car the 2-way pager alerted me to it and my screaming made them take off before doing any damage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ive got an ASS LOAD of shock sensor's in the garage if you'd like. Just pay for the shipping and I'll send you one... but your car is equipped with the factory alarm correct? Check by rolling down your drivers window and with all the doors/trunk closed, hit the lock button. Wait about 30 seconds and reach inside and open the door. If your horn starts honkin then the shock sensor add on will do you just fine, though a 2-way system would be better.

If DEI's products are out of your price range Id go with CrimeStopper's line. Personally, Ive never had any problems with them yet.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts