1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car And Driver's Best Of '08: Good News For GM
By Phil LeBeaucnbc.com
| 30 Nov 2007 | 10:07 AM ET

For General Motors , this is pretty darn good. No, let me amend that. This is really good.

The automaker has three cars listed on Car And Driver's best of 2008. It's the only domestic automaker to get a car on the list. And most importantly, the new Chevy Malibu is among the 10 best according to Car And Driver. It's the kind of "stamp of approval" GM and the Malibu have been looking for.

Car And Driver's top ten list is one of the most influential among the auto publications. Editor Csaba Csere and his staff pick models spanning a wide array of price points and each for different reasons.

Some, like the Chevy Corvette are on the list because they deliver great bang for the buck. Others, like the BMW 3-Series, are on the list because they have a level or consistent performance that's hard to beat, according to Car And Driver. In short, the magazine has been praised over the years for being even handed in assessing the best on the road.

Car and driver's 10 Best for '08:
1.BMW 3-Series
2.Cadillac CTS
3.Chevrolet Corvette
4.Chevrolet Malibu
5.Honda Accord
6.Honda Fit
7.Mazda MX-5
8.Mazdaspeed 3
9.Porsche Boxster and Cayman
10.Volkswagen GTI

For Malibu to make the list is validation GM's product makeover is working. On "Squawk Box," Csere said the Malibu is better than a Camry and close to a Honda Accord. Magic words to the people at GM. The automaker redesigned the Malibu to win back car buyers who have given up on Chevy and moved over to Japanese models. Given the loyalty of Toyota and Honda owners, this won't be easy. But to GM's credit, the Malibu is a huge improvement in terms of styling, and the car has a shot at making the automaker relevant again in the world of sedans.

It won't happen overnight. In fact, the Malibu will easily be outsold by the Camry and Accord. But endorsements like the one from Car and Driver are a start. Ask yourself this, if you were in the market for a new sedan, would you look at a Malibu or pick a Camry or Accord.

Questions? Comments? [email protected]

© 2007 CNBC, Inc. All Rights Reserved
URL: Car And Driver's Best Of '08: Good News For GM - Behind the Wheel - Phil Lebeau - MSNBC.com

·
Damnit.
7,392 Posts
:uh: I didn't even see that. :eek: I might have to rent a Malibu from Enterprise to see what the hype is about :fawk:

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:nono:

GM has reduced it's sales to rental companies by 45% (despite the negative effects it has on "sales.") Also, you should know that the rental cars are stripped down econo boxes, hence the reason resale values on past vehicles are so crappy (also why GM is trying to back out of that market).

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts

GM has reduced it's sales to rental companies by 45% (despite the negative effects it has on "sales.") Also, you should know that the rental cars are stripped down econo boxes, hence the reason resale values on past vehicles are so crappy (also why GM is trying to back out of that market).
The downside of this is that people will miss out on trying a car they otherwise might have liked. When I rented GMs in the past, (like the Malibu, which was dangerously defective), I was reminded of why I hated GMs. Then, recently, I rented a G6, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was nothing spectacular, but I found myself saying "THIS is a Pontiac?". By the same token, I later rented a Sonata (Avis has moved a lot of their models over to Hyundai's) and it died on me with only 27k miles on it, so I got to have that rental experience as well.

·
Ass To Mouth
6,271 Posts
The downside of this is that people will miss out on trying a car they otherwise might have liked. When I rented GMs in the past, (like the Malibu, which was dangerously defective), I was reminded of why I hated GMs. Then, recently, I rented a G6, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was nothing spectacular, but I found myself saying "THIS is a Pontiac?". By the same token, I later rented a Sonata (Avis has moved a lot of their models over to Hyundai's) and it died on me with only 27k miles on it, so I got to have that rental experience as well.
I'm suprised they still had it with 27k on it, I thought all the rental places got rid of their cars around 20k. Also, GM is only cutting back, not getting rid of it so I don't really think it'll be a problem. When it comes down to it, if you're considering buying a car, you should be taking it for a test drive anyway(From the dealership).

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Of course I wound... I was just referring to the lack of exposure to a car we might otherwise not have considered.

·
Batman Scholar
2,499 Posts

When I was in Anderson a few weeks ago, National gave me a G5 and it was disgraceful to GM, I think. When I got back home I went to a pontiac dealer (I'm buying a G2 for one of my workers) and checked out a G5, which was way better than that POS rental I had.

I encourage GM's move to back out of the whole rental BS.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Rented a G6 while the GTO was in the shop, HIGHLY DISAPOINTED!!! The MPG was the same as my GTO (I4 vs V8) :wtf: The car itself was ok but I am not going to sacrifice 150+hp for the same gas mileage and no more room!

(BTW: I had the car for about 2 weeks waiting for a part to be shipped from Australia, an advantage of have a G6 :twitch:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts