Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have my Mitsubishi Eclipse 2000 in idle for too long, it shuts off. I don't know if it has something to do with the engine mounts being too small because the car sometimes shakes when idling. Also my car has auto start & will sometimes turn on by itself, could these problems be related? Please help. I took it to a mechanic & he gave me a list of things to get fixed when I get money. He also said something about the cam & crank sensors, could this be the problem too? I wanna get this fixed ASAP.

· Registered
39 Posts
As crazy as it sounds, if you have a car that turns on all by itself, then I would just as easily believe it could turn itself off as well....

After how long (from a cold start) will it shut off, and does it reach operating temperature? Does it sputter then die, or just shut off?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill have to check next time it does it but after idling from anywhere between 5 minutes to 10 minutes it does it but not all the time. & it always starts to sputter & then it dies. It takes a couple times of turning it back on & reving the engine before it doesn't die. It will do it maybe 3 times in a row before I can go.

· Back from Deployment
2,002 Posts
Codes? Plus, I'm with that hypothesis that your remote start is the culprit. What stuff did your mechanic tell you to fix? I would have ripped that shit out long ago. With my luck it would turn on at midnight and run the car out of gas by morning, or overheat around 3 am and blow a head gasket at best, warp/crack heads/block at worst.

· Registered
124 Posts
there really isnt anything that can be said here....remote start failing??? compustar??? its possible but how do you know that maybe its not just the button getting pressed in a pocket or something....i know people are quick to say that's not it but it could be....
in all honesty you already have talked to a mechanic you might as well pay him to fix it....
a remote start disengages after the key is put in and unless you have a compustar or similar there isnt a shut down feature and the way that works is by disconnecting the key bypass.

the shaking is probably from rough low idle. which could be from a laundry list of things

· Registered
124 Posts
from what you have told us. it seems that you have a failing security brain. the auto start feature is kicking the car on and off... it could possibly be dangerous if it decides to shut off while you are moving.
this seems pretty far fetched....my 02 had a bad vaccuum leak that would cause it to die right after starting...give a little gas, get a lil warm and it ran...like i said before the remote start if wired in correctly cant kill the engine with the key in it....some require you to restart that car after you enter it.

· Registered
546 Posts
this seems pretty far fetched....my 02 had a bad vaccuum leak that would cause it to die right after starting...give a little gas, get a lil warm and it ran...like i said before the remote start if wired in correctly cant kill the engine with the key in it....some require you to restart that car after you enter it.

how does it seem far fetched? when the brain for my alarm system started going bad it started going off while i was driving it. if you read the OP it states that the car will randomly start and then it will shut off. you may be right about the vacuum leak as well. but there is no way that you can say that the alarm brain isn't going bad with it randomly starting.

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
I've dealt with a couple bad remote starters before. Had some that would start the car on their own too! An MR2 flooded the engine so bad I had to pump gasoline and engine oil out of the intercooler, another car sat there and cranked then the intake back fired and the car caught on fire! All without any human interaction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.