Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its when im stopped at a light and the car is in drive. I makes a weird noise that comes from the black thing thats beside the valve cover or maybe something in that area of the engine. Its a 2003 eclipse gts automatic. When i put the car in park it stops and idles smooth? Ive changed spark plugs and wires, which sucked! Put seafoam in my gas take tank and vac line changed oil but i have no idea how to make it stop?! Please help i bought the car as a project car i could have some hands on fun but i cant make it stop it has 112,000 miles as well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Its when im stopped at a light and the car is in drive. I makes a weird noise that comes from the black thing thats beside the valve cover or maybe something in that area of the engine. Its a 2003 eclipse gts automatic. When i put the car in park it stops and idles smooth? Ive changed spark plugs and wires, which sucked! Put seafoam in my gas take tank and vac line changed oil but i have no idea how to make it stop?! Please help i bought the car as a project car i could have some hands on fun but i cant make it stop it has 112,000 miles as well.

Try to be a little more descriptive of the "black thing beside the valve cover". There are many black things inside the engine compartment. What kind of noise? Whistle, grumble, growl, rattle, bang, bump, screech, etc..... Open the hood and try to figure out exactly where it is coming from. Someone else might know offhand what to check, but personally I need more info. The car is with you, not me.

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the black thing that u pull the left side of the valve cover out of when u remove valve cover i think it had a belt in it. The noise i cant explain just if im at a stop light in drive it idles rough but not in park its sounds like a consistent tapping or knocking but i know taps and knocks arent good so im tryin to not think it is that sorry im not very informative guys but i appreciate u responding and thanks n advance for any knowledge i may receive!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You talking about the timing belt cover? Have you changed the timing belt recently? Or was it changed recently? Pull the cover off and watch the belt with the engine running, maybe it's coming apart. Sorry, I'm basically guessing, not trying to lead you astray cause I'm still not 100% clear on what you are refering to. A picture and/or a video clip is worth a thousand words if you can't adequately describe something.

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No oil was changed a week ago and ok the timing belt is where i start. Just got my ac fixed and now my car idles funny when the ac is on? Is that a bad compressor?

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be a like gurgle tapping noise coming it ill post a video when i get home when i figure out how to use this forum lol

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
No oil was changed a week ago and ok the timing belt is where i start. Just got my ac fixed and now my car idles funny when the ac is on? Is that a bad compressor?
Again, vague descriptions are not helping. How is it idling funny? Too high? Too low? Going up and down? Normally with the compressor on you will see the idle drop a tad because it adds load to the engine, but then the computer should get it back to where it's supposed to be.

·
Foolish-Pleasure
612 Posts
a bad compressor would jerk the car when driving since it would stop and go and the cold air would turn warm. your rpms will drop a tab with ac on, they shouldn't drop to make the car wanna turn off.

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok i figured as much with the ac it just freaked me out at the light when the idle went down way low but came back up. It did it a few times but i guess its normal. The idle is just higher and sounds rough like a deep rattling noise its def coming from where that belt is or whatever is directly under it im trying to add pics but cant and the ac just had freon put back in it after getting the o ring replace from the hose behind the passenger light.

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
will post pics and a video soon because now it idles rough it fluctuates around a grand then drops below just up and down up and down even without ac on the noise is still there as well

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so far ive heard it could be a ac compressor, air idle control valve, and it could be as simple as a hose that goes from air intake to throttle bottle

·
Almost A Mechanic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/URL][/IMG]

thats the black thing i was referring to. the idle just bounces when im stopped but not in park or neutral

1 - 20 of 24 Posts