Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 GT sportronic 140,000 miles.

About 2 weeks ago my starter went out. I could still hear the clicking when i would turn the key so i know the solenoid was getting power. I took it out, had it tested and it was completely dead. I replaced it and the new starter worked for about a week and then once again my car stopped working. It wouldnt start again. This time there is no clicking what so ever. All of the cars dash lights are extremely dim when the key is in the "on" position but sometimes will come on as brightly as they normally would. As soon as i turn the key to start the engine all of the dash lights go away and the dash is dark again.

Ive already taken the battery to be tested and the guy at autozone said the battery wasnt only fine but that it was fully charged and everything.

What do I do from here? Ive tried searching for where the starter relay is but the only page ive found is has a picure the M/T and it seems to be different from the way my fuse box looks. (i can post pictures if needed).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"You must spread some Reputation around before you can give it to HRT again" -darn

Anyways, noob question, where the heck is the starter solenoid? I see tons of post talking about how you can run a wire from the battery to the starter solenoid directly but i cant find a post where someone tells you where its at.

·
Valor is eternal....
249 Posts
The solenoid isn't explicitly stated in the manual - it contains the magnetic switch and your S, B and M pins.

To be precise, the solenoid is that round bit thats stuck to the side of the actual starter motor with the two bolts and a pin sticking out of it. The 'starter' as it's commonly seen is both the solenoid and the starter motor in one unit.

If you don't hear clicking (it's the starter relay that causes the clicking btw), then your issue is further back than the solenoid - especially if you've replaced it. Since your dash lights are involved, I'd check the ignition switch quite frankly. A test light that checks for power and ground would make this an easy search.

·
Baby on board
657 Posts
Check your battery cables, especially your negative. I had to reroute the negative one on my 00 RS. It did exactly what you described. Also check to make sure you have no loose wires to the starter. GL.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be precise, the solenoid is that round bit thats stuck to the side of the actual starter motor with the two bolts and a pin sticking out of it. The 'starter' as it's commonly seen is both the solenoid and the starter motor in one unit.

Since your dash lights are involved, I'd check the ignition switch quite frankly
thank you for clearing that up, i was lost. Where might i find the ignition switch? I found a thread that said it was behind the dash. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should be right were you stick your key in, that turns on your ignition switch which sends current to your starter relay. Get the repair manuals HR T's links and just trace the diagrams doing voltage presence tests until you see no voltage. Taking automotive electrical and we just started working on starters. To me it seems your not getting power to your starter, so there is either lots of resistance somewhere from corrosion or a completely severed wire. Best thing to do get a voltmeter and work your way threw the diagram also check your battery with the volt meter should be at 12.6v if its not then you have problems with it too. Also do the trouble shooting like HRT said on page 16-22.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No problem ADSaaron :) Go to RockAuto Auto Parts and look up your car, under Electrical, then Starter Motor, you should see some pictures of starters (click on Info links next to each starter). Some links have better pictures than others. Now in that link above go to page 16-25, you'll see a basic diagram of how to test the starter with it out of the car.

*Never* jump the starter cable from under the car- if left in gear you could get run over. You don't want to die like that. Always use a "remote starter switch" (usually $10).

I agree w/what everyone says, this might just be a basic electrical problem. I especially like MandaMarie00's idea about checking all the battery cables. They can look tight but be loose- I've had them loosen up all by themselves too. They can also be corroded inside and not letting enough power through. The starter sucks down a lot of power so even though your radio, lights, etc may work, it may not be enough to spin the starter. Your dash light problem makes me think that one cable is bad on the battery.

Like Hige said the best way to check is with a voltmeter. You can do an easy check- connect a $10 voltmeter to your cigarette lighter, positive/red in the middle, negative/black on the side. Put key to "accessory" and check voltage. Then try to start the car while you check voltage. If your meter swings down really low it's probably just the battery cables. Like Tasogare said though, this could also mean bad ignition switch. Yes a test light will work too but then you'll be looking for "bright/dim/off light".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok 2002 eclipse gt no crank but clicking new starter an seloniod good batt clean batt connections an tight new ignition switch seloniod wire connect clean an good lights on dash are brite when turn key used to have to move steering column an gegle key to start. Need help stuck

·
Registered
44 Posts
IME a clicking starter means the battery has just enough juice to run lights and minor loads, but not enough for the starter to turn the engine over. Try jump starting the car with good cables or a portable battery charger. (I think these new-fangled li-ion battery jump starter are a must-have for people with older cars like us). Make sure your electricity drains are off (headlights, HVAC fan, stereo, cabin lights) when trying to jump start.

I don't understand what you're saying about the steering column, but I doubt it matters. I think it's very likely you have a weak battery. The root cause could be the battery itself being too old and tired, or your alternator might not be charging it sufficiently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts