Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i did some searching around and im guessing that my wheels need to be balanced? it all started happening a few days ago.. If i got over 65 mph on the highway the car starts to shake like crazy, than when im driving around the city, 25-45 its perfectly fine no shaking or anything. So just to confirm, would it be that my wheels need rebalancing?

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
You might also want to look into your inner tie rod end needing to be replaced my wheels sake at the same exact speed and its because i need a new inner tie rod end.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea. its a 2.3 hour job, well thats what alldata states so make sure u dont get burned with expensive labor charges but the part itself is only like 46 or 47 dollars. Luckly I know a great tech thats hooking me up with the labor fees.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea thats it. but i wouldnt recommend a ebay bought one. try carquest or autopartswarehouse.com they're great and cheap

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright, thanks, when are you getting yours done? Just in case my problem isnt the inner tie rods...although from the looks of it , i guess it is.. let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my parts ordered and it should be here with the end part of the week. and its being installed next tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
I hate to say it, but it does sound alot like balancing of the wheels. I hope you tried that first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will look into the wheel balancing first, than if that doesnt fix my problem ill get the inner tie rods..

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
I hit a pot hole 2 weeks ago. Anything over 45 and the car felt like a front end piece was loose. Bad shaking. Brought the car in, looked at each wheel (make sure there wasn't a bent rim), looked at the bearings, tie rods, control arms, etc. Turns out, one of the wheels was out of balance. Got it fixed, perfectly sailing up to 85.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To narrow it down more, if you feel teh shaking in the steering wheel its probaly your front tires that need balanced and if your butt feels the shaking it's the rear wheels. This happened on my old mustang. Balanced the back tires and fixed it.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
When you say that your car shakes, do you mean the entire car actually shakes, or is it just your steering wheel?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the steering wheel and front of car...i think it started happening after i put some fix-a-flat stuff into the right front tire to fix a leak in the tire. so maybe that means it needs to be rebalanced?

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
oh christ. Fix a flat stuff sucks. If it started happening after you put that in, it is definitely a re-balance issue. That stuff sticks to every bit of the inside of the tire.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
yes. But worse is that it gums up the inside of the tire causing the exact problem he is having. It adds weight at different spots inside the tire causing the balance to be WAAAAY off. I have seen some people need a new tire because of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts