Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pandora
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been MIA for a while. Life hasnt been treating me too well and now neither is the car. It was running like a champ for a while. Pandora (my car) is a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT premium package with a VRX 3.5 engine and tons of other upgrades. The car went into limp mode randomly (3 weeks ago) i believe its the same p0305 shift circuit malfunction that i dealt with a year ago. (unplugged, cleaned, pluged back in, reset ecu via battery removal)

Now that is the least of my worries. This past week I pulled into the gas station to fill up the tank. Car was running normal. Turned it off. Filled it with the same 94 premium I get every time. once I was done, I went to turn the car over and it died. Basically on the first spark. No lights, No nothing. I got a jump from the first car i saw with no luck. Waited for the biggest truck to pull up. F-350 super duty. Asked for a jump. I had it sit for a few minutes and still got nothing. Couldnt even roll my windows up. I remembered that its "All down hill from here" literally. So I just pushed my car to the correct direction and coasted to my garage a few blocks down. (LOL) I tested the battery which was fully dead. Put it on a charger which I then discovered my Optima Red top battery was no longer holding a charge.

Today I went out and bought a new one since i couldnt find a receipt to bring the old one in for warranty. The new updated version has more amps and a better capacity which already over shadowed the oem battery. After installing the lights did come on. I climbed in the car and when I turned the car over the same thing happened. This time expecting it i listened more closely and the starter was barely able to get one spark before the whole system died and the new battery had 0% yet again.

The last work I had done to the car was a Routine Tune up package. Spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc) about 6 months ago. So ive already checked all the fuses, wires, anything loose or burnt. Im guessing my next step is to see if the spark plugs, distributor, etc ... didnt malfunction or come loose internally. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Pandora
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im working on it. pulling the car apart in spare time to get to everything. Just seeing if anyone knew a more concentrated area the problem could be located. Maybe the ignition system? Im just not seeing any bad reading, loose connections, or anything burnt...

·
G$
616 Posts
It sounds similar to a problem I had a couple weeks ago. Went into Mcdonalds to eat, all was well, came out to start my car and nothing. No lights, nothing. Only thing was my battery still had a charge.

On a mistake, I touched the negative battery terminal with a breaker bar I had in my hand, and the other end of the bar touched the bolts on the strut tower. When that happened, a couple sparks flew and everything lit up. I took my jumper cables and jumped the negative terminal to a chassis ground (basically gave myself a jump lol) and everything worked, the car started right up.

My problem was the negative wire from the battery, it completely corroded away. You touched it and green powder came out, bits of wire broke off when you flexed it, it was completely rotted away. I replaced that and I haven't had any problems since.

Now, yours may have allowed the battery to discharge down and not recharge, I'm not sure, and perhaps your new battery wasn't charged 100% before you tried to use it (especially with Optimas, they want you to charge them before you use them), but if you could charge your battery externally and try again with a new cable (or with the jumper cables in place to test the theory) it might work, I can't imagine a problem other than main electrical not allowing the starter to crank. Hell, check the positive terminal wiring to make sure it isn't corroded. I hope all this helps somehow, good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts