Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well let me tell you guys my current situation. On Tuesday I drove the Eclipse from my house to the mall a one hour drive no problem. On the way I stopped to pay the toll and my cars rpm's fell down from 800 to 400 back to 800 and idled back to 600. My car idles at 800 whatever the case. So on Wednesday I turned my car on in the morning when my car is cold it idles at 1500rpms until its warm and idles at 800 so I drive about 3 minutes after my car was warm. I rarely move it until its fully warm and I stop and my car completely dies. I turned it on and it barely climbed the rpms to 1000 and it dies again. I wait...5 seconds turn it on again and I hold the pedal. It does not turn off if I hold the pedal. then I turn it off get a coke. Then I turn it on and immediately goes to 1000 and dies. So I hold the pedal all the way down to my friends house holding the pedal at the stops signs because it wanted to stall. Whatever I leave my car there the whole time I was worried. Anyways get back like 5 hours later and I turn on my car and apparently it was kinda warm so again turned on perfect idled for 2 seconds and dies. I go home. The whole 10 minute drive holding the pedal again but at one stop sign I let go and it idled perfect. I took off the battery let the ecu reset and I turned on the car it idled good for about 1 minute and then it died. Whatever I start looking around my engine bay I noticed that one of my Hid lights wasn't on and notice that one of my fuses was blown I replaced it with the same number fuse and the lights were working again. I turned on the car idle for 1 second and died again. I don't know what to do. Sounds like some vacuum line is damaged. Tomorrow I am gonna get dirty in the car. I researched all through out this forum and that was the most popular answer and flasbluers had a hole in the bottom of his intake runner I hope I don't have that but I did search and help would be appreciated. I have 2000 GS 5 Speed. 78,000 miles. I have no SES lights.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm glad you included year, model, milage (so many forget to)...but, have you done any modifications to the car? When's the last time you did a tune up on it? At this point, it could be a number of things from a coil, like P1aya said, dirty injectors, a bad vacuum leak, bad or dirty IAC, etc.

I'd start with a tune up if that hasn't been done lately, then follow the troubleshooting section of the FSM. If you get through that and still can figure it out, letting us know what you have checked will help us narrow things down for you, but without having your vehicle in front of us, and without knowing some of the info I listed above, we'd just be taking WAGs to begin with...

Oh, and this should probably be moved to the "Problem Reports" section...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also, something that wasn't mentioned before, is that is you have an after-market intake, check that to make sure that it is connected well (no leaks, MAF plug connected). Sometimes if it shakes loose, the car will idle really bad, or die.. just like in your case.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Might want to check the intake manifold itself. Thats what mine did and I just replaced it because it was cracked, its a common issue with these intake manifolds. I just replaced mine. It could be what they said too. They all act kinda the same way. I had no light come on either and my car ran like a muscle car, thats how I can describe it.

Here is where mine was cracked and where all of them crack.
This is the bottom so take a really good look at yours, it will not be split like this one, did that just for photo so you can see where it would be.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, that sucks... I had heard of it cracking sometimes, but I've never seen one that bad. Kinda makes you wanna get an aftermarket Evo one, huh?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Wow, that sucks... I had heard of it cracking sometimes, but I've never seen one that bad. Kinda makes you wanna get an aftermarket Evo one, huh?
I've only heard of them cracking when the air intake on them wasn't mounted properly. Some people just attached the intake to the TB and not to a second mounting point that helps keep the weight from stressing the manifold. I would not say the manifold cracking at the flange is "common" but that is just my opinion. If you have a stock intake I wouldn't ven bother checking that location. I would be looking for vac leaks 1st, then into the coils.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
I've only heard of them cracking when the air intake on them wasn't mounted properly. Some people just attached the intake to the TB and not to a second mounting point that helps keep the weight from stressing the manifold. I would not say the manifold cracking at the flange is "common" but that is just my opinion. If you have a stock intake I wouldn't ven bother checking that location. I would be looking for vac leaks 1st, then into the coils.
Not true and besides that was on my daily Galant and I have stock intake and always have., I asked a Tech at my local Mitsubisi Dealer when I went to buy new Gaskets and things and they said that it was a common thing with the intake cracking like that, if anything the reason for the crack was a bad motor mount, trany mount not aftermarket intake so much. The intake manifold is made out of steel, at least thats what the dealer said. Then again, who knows, my daily Galant has 158000 miles and this is the first time.

See, stock intake bro, yes do check that location

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
I do but not on my daily galant. I will do an evo head swap on my 2002 Galant and then I will also replace the Intake manifold with something better.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Not true and besides that was on my daily Galant and I have stock intake and always have
Wow that IS fucking crazy! This is the 1st time I have heard about that happening with a stock air box in my several years here. And NOW I see why.... Sorry for my failure to pay attention to detail... In my rush to respond I forgot that the I4 has a different manifold than my V6!
LOL :uh:

FWIW, I think the gt and Diamante mani's are aluminum... or atleast they seem pretty dang light to be steel. :dunno:

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Thats what I said and I was like, Ill ask the dealer when go there and when he said steel, I was shocked and asked why this would happen and teh guy just raised his shoulders and said I dont know and wanted 550 for a new Intake manifold and then I knew why..lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys I am back after looking at my car for 1 hour and a half I forgot to mention that I have a short ram intake and no cat ( I did have the ses light for the cat and I checked it before I reseted the Ecu and that was the only SES code I got). Well I turned on the car but before I turned it on I looked through engine bay to see anything weird. So I check around and I see nothing. I run my hands down the runners and I did not feel any holes. That doesn't mean there aren't any cracks. I was reading and I read that I can use starter fluid around those kinda areas to see if idle changes. I turned on the car and the did not do the warm up stage instead it just idled at 800 rpms :angryazn:. I did hear something I havent heard a very small hiss but then it went away and it would come back once in a while. I pretty sure that has something to do with it but I am having trouble figuring out where is that noise coming from. Now I did notice another thing. I don't know if you guys noticed for those with intakes, when you guys turn off the car you hear a hiss noise coming from your filter. I always heard that noise since the first day I bought and installed my intake. Now I don't hear it. Instead I just hear the engine stopping instead of the hiss from the air filter. Makes me want to think there is something opened up and instead of the hiss not entering the air filter its coming from somewhere else. I need to know how to check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Do not use starting fluid! It is designed for slow-burning diesel engines...it can be disastrous in a gasoline engine!

There are a number of ways to check for vacuum leaks, and everyone seems to have a different method...some people use carb cleaner, some use propane, some just listen and feel...it's important to note that if you use any flammable product, keep in mind that your hot exhaust is right below the intake...be careful, or don't use it if you don't feel comfortable.

As for the hissing through the filter, how many miles are on it, and when's the last time you cleaned it? Also, since you have a SRI, do you have it supported in addition to just having the tube clamped to the throttle body?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
If you no longer hear the hiss I would suggest cleaning the filter and reapplying oil (lightly) to it. Then test for hiss. If none start checking for a vac leak by spraying carb cleaner around the vacuum hoses, manifold, TB, anywhere else air could be leaking from. I agree that starter fluid is a bad idea. I wonder if the hiss you briefly heard was just that fluid burning off of the hot exhaust (as it warmed up).

Here is an off the wall question... After the engine dies does the green key icon on the gauge cluster flash? I doubt that it does... but if it doesn't it means your key needs to be resyncd.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Alright guys I just fixed my situation. You guys would probably would not of have guessed it since no one did. It was my PCV Valve. I was looking around my engine bay and noticed that my pcv hose wasreally hard and stiff. So I decided to change it. It actually improved my idle but not all the way. Then my friend noticed that the new hose was being pinched and not letting it vent. So we decided to change the PCV valve. Right off the bat I noticed a dramatic improvement in idle. It idled and it idled. No stalling whatsover. Yes I did change the pcv valve when I first got my car at 58,000 miles. So anyways..we fixed it for 3 dollars. I love my car.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Cool...good to hear! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well....my car stalled out tonight.....while on my way to the movies with my girl how embarrasing.... but she didnt care. My friend who is a mechanic was there and we diagnosed but nothing. I will get into more detail tomorrow after I put the car on stands etc...I read on some other threads about the IAC....I also heard a hiss again....whatever tomorrow I will let my fellow 3G owners what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm sees like I fixed it. The line that I used earlier for the pcv was a very thin line and when it was under vacuum the line was was collapsing. I replaced it today with a thicker line. Everything seems to be working fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts