Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been trying to troubleshoot a charging problem on my 01 GTS.

About a year ago I did a timing belt and water pump on the car and upon the first start, I had left the alternator power wire loose from the nut and it arced against the alternator and caused the 120A fuse to blow. I replaced the fuse and with no further issues I drove the car for a bit. A couple weeks later I noticed the the battery wasn’t charging anymore and the alternator was determined to be bad which after the arc incident I was expecting it.

i replaced it with a reman oreillys unit which had a bad voltage regulator out of the box. No big deal, just warrantied it and swapped it out. Then it would stall out if put under a heavy electrical load (lights and a/c on while dropping the top). I let the car sit for the past few months before I decided to start fiddling with it again.

So again I tore it out and had it tested at 3 different stores where it passed. Still, I replaced it with a different brand and the same exact issue persists so I know I don’t have a third faulty alternator. I just went and performed a voltage drop on the power wire hoping it had heavy resistance when the concern was present. Unfortunately it stayed a pretty consistent .1 volts with no load and between 2.2-2.5 volts with the loads on it.

no codes are set and it will pass an in the car alternator test I perform with my scan tool (because all it has me do is turn my headlights on and rev it up, not do anything heavy). It’s also worth noting that when this happens, the rpm gauge will jump like crazy. All my wires look fine so I’m starting to suspect a pcm but wanted to check here to see if anyone else has experienced this or a similar issue. Also if anyone could direct me to a proper wiring diagram that would be great as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I JUST fought a similar battle. The remand alternators use junk regulators. I just TODAY installed a Denso reman alternator and it works like a champ. These cars have to maintain 14ish volts from ground to terminal B (nut on the wire) on back of the alternator to run. Just be advised, the Denso remand was 280 dollars but, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Even when you buy new parts, there is no guarantee that it will work… There is a warranty on the part, but I have seen new part's fail right out of the box.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
566 Posts
Had this happen last year on my wife's Volvo. Took it in to have the alternator replaced because it is a nasty job to change it [$1100 in labor alone]. I sourced a rebuilt from a reliable source to save a little money but the repair shop insisted on putting in a factory new one. Guess what, it failed in less than a year, so the shop had to eat it. Replacement alternator, labor, towing bill...YUM,Yum, yum. ...J.D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts