Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Blue Waffle <-Google
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time ever storing a car for more than a month.

Well its about that time again. Deployment. Every military members favorite time.

I'm going to be storing my 3G indoors at a storage facility and am trying to make sure I have everything done before I leave for 9months.
There's one part I'm confused about.
I've read to have the car up on jack stands to prevent flat spots on tires. But I've read a few times not to jack it up b/c its bad on the suspension.
So what should I do?

Also any other tips that ya might think people forget to dl before storage, let me know. It's my DD and my only vehicle. So I could use all the help :)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
There's a lot of varying opinions on whether to jack up the car or not and whether that is good or bad for suspension. Some claim that having no pressure or weight on the suspension system leaves it in an unnatural position and can cause problems. Others claim that relieving this stress over the long term is a GOOD thing for the system.

It seems like most people saying it is 'bad' to jack up a car, are talking about older cars with leaf spring setups. I'm not 100% on this being factual, but tehre seems to be a correlation with that.

The only thing you can say for certain is that having the tires off the ground will prevent flat spots.

One thing I'd recommend is putting some moth balls under your hood and around the car, and also stuffing the tailipipe with tinfoil or steel wool. I had an issue when I parked my car for 3 months with mice or rats moving into my cars exhaust system and engine bay. No real damage was done other than the bastards SHITTING all over my friggin engine bay. It was a real pain in the ass. Anyway, after putting some moth balls in the engine bay, I've never had any repeat business from those 'ex-tenants'.

If you're not familiar, you can get mothballs at wal-mart for like 3 bucks for a box.

·
Blue Waffle <-Google
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. I'll jack it up just enough to keep pressure off the tires. Should be okay.

Moth balls. Great idea. The storage facility says nothing gets into the storage rooms. But just to be safe ill do that.

Would it be better to unplug battery and leave it be. Or get a battery thing that starts it up just to keep battery charged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts