Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was driving my 2000 GT home and the radio start blinking like going off and on, and the battery and brake lights did that as well, when I got home the car died and I had to jump it. I when to a dealer they check the battery, the starter and the alternator and they said everything was ok.

Everything seems to be fine until yesterday when I was driving my car in the highway, when I took the exit the car just turned off. I manage to take it to the side of the road, but it didn’t start again. A friend came and we jumped the car, but a squeaking or kind of a knocking/flapping sound I never heart before began. The car felt weak like trying to turn off again so I started driving it thinking that the battery was drained or something, but after three blocks the car died again. The car seems to start but that terrible sound still there, and unless I press the gas the car will turn off…

Does someone have any clue what could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Dying/dead alternator. Possibly a loose alternator belt.
This.

Could be a loose negative terminal. Also, could be the battery (might have a dead cell) or the alternator. I had my battery and alternator tested when I had the issue and they passed, but I replaced them and haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sound like somethings blocking the current from your battery to the alternator, ect. I say check your terminals. i had the same issue when i first got my car earlier this year and it scared the hell outa me. just a tiny bit of corrosion almost cost me a lot of money i didn't need to spend.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt seems to be tight and in good condition. Today I tried to start it again and It started normally like if the battery is good, but the noise in the engine got worse, when I press the gas is even louder. I don't want to drive it because it seems that I can make a bigger problem. Here is a youtube video I took yesterday, maybe it will helps to understand the noise. Thank you so much for your help so far

2000 Eclipse GT engine knocking noise - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the end it was a problem in the connection rods... Replacing the engine was cheaper than fixing that... Thank y'all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts