Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my car has been slow to start. Now I won’t start at all. I turn the key over and try to start it but nothing happens. Lights don’t dim and everything else works fine. I can start the car by bypassing the starter solenoid with a wire. Battery, alternator, and starter all passed when I had them tested at Autozone. I also bypassed the clutch switch to see if that was the problem. Only thing left that I can think of is the ignition switch since all the wiring has been tested for any shorts. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
358 Posts
My bet is a bad wire between either the battery and starter, battery and ground, or ignition switch and starter solenoid

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic said all the wiring is good, but which wire on the starter is the ignition wire? The one on top that clips on or the wire with a nut?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok update. My ignition wire is getting power. I tested it with a cheap meter and the light on the meter does light up when the key is turned over to start the car. Does this mean my start solenoid is bad?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure. All i know is i can bypass the solenoid and start the car. And a cheap mulimeter lights up when i connect it to the ignition wire and ground.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i replaced teh starter and the solenoid. Still wouldn't fire up or even turn over. So i pulled the relays from the fuse box under the hood. Decided to call local dealership to ask if they are suppose to click or anythign when i turn the key over. Dealer said at most you should feel them move one time. They clicked/moved one time, or not at all when i tried to start it. So i replaced them and now the car starts fine. Stupid mechanic said they were fine though :(

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Ok i replaced teh starter and the solenoid. Still wouldn't fire up or even turn over. So i pulled the relays from the fuse box under the hood. Decided to call local dealership to ask if they are suppose to click or anythign when i turn the key over. Dealer said at most you should feel them move one time. They clicked/moved one time, or not at all when i tried to start it. So i replaced them and now the car starts fine. Stupid mechanic said they were fine though :(
Sounds like you have some ammo for when he gives you the bill. From what I see you solved the issue and not the mechanic. I would argue if the bill is high.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i paid 160 bucks for the mechanic's "time". Im guessing he didn't have the tool to test the relay switches so he just said they were good. When i start the car now the starter sounds stronger and u can still hear it spinning for a short amount of time after the engine starts. Very nice sounding now. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts