Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely hate cardio, but I've incorporated in into my workout to help shed some pounds anyway. The treadmill I have access to has a fat burning program that I normally use. Anyway, I upped it to 5.0 in the middle of the program to get a heavy jog going and after 3 minutes of it I was about ready to die. It's mostly based on the fact that I have allergies with something in my apartment (I take allegra to balance it out) but my lung capacity is pretty much crap from that. I realize cardio and lung capacity go hand in hand, but are there cardio activities that won't rely on breathing heavy?

·
Registered
384 Posts
well if you are just trying to shed pounds you need to look at your diet as well. you need to create a caloric imbalance where you are taking in less than you are using. also another to think about is that you burn the same amount of calories whether you walk a mile or run a mile, so if you don't want to breath heavy its just gonna take you longer.

i remember you saying that you just got done with school so im guessing you are around 22-23 years old so i wouldn't recomend only low intensity exercise. what about playing basketball inside or raquetball or something to get your heart rate up but also keep you distracted and maybe you wont notice that you are breating heavy as much??

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
If you are looking to shed pounds vai cardio, I've heard that Interval work is the best way. I find it less monotonus than just running/jogging.

Does anybody know how long you need to work intervals to really be effective? I have not found any good info on this.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
QiG - I feel your pain. When I first bought my treadmill this past February, I'd walk at 3.5mph on an incline for 30 minutes and I thought I was going to die. Rubbery legs and all.

You just have to stick to it. Don't do 5 mph right away. Start at a medium-paced jog and do that for 30 minutes or so. When you start to feel that's easy, up the resistance/incline. When that gets easy, up your time. When you're breezing through an hour at that pace/resistance, up the pace. Rinse and repeat.

I'm plugging away now at 60-100 minutes, on an incline, at 5mph 3-5 mornings a week, and to be honest, I'm not getting my target heart rate and I'm not out of breath. It's just plain conditioning. You'll get there.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
I've heard some great things about this program. I haven't gotten around to trying it, but I will once the snow is gone. It's call "HIIT" (High Intensity Interval Training) Google around on it a bit and see what you come up with.

HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training | HIIT

And as far as shedding pounds you might want to think about getting on some sort of Eating plan, as McDzzl said.

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried out some different things over the week. I have access to a treadmill, a stationary bike, and a stair master. It seems as if I have the most control over my breathing on the bike, but I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of it. The treadmill I'm used to, and the stair master is no joke. I did 15 minutes on it and thought I was going to pass out before I could finish the 20 minute program.

I think what I'll do is incorporate them all into my workout since I split it up in 3 non-consecutive days of chest/tri, back/legs, shoulder/bis. Treadmill completely one day, split between bike and treadmill the next, and stair master on the third day. I guess my next question is would it be hindering my leg workout to hop on the stair master that day? I know sometimes cardio done wrong can end up burning muscles...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts