Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried to install a new battery and after connecting to the + terminal I fumbled around getting the - one on. This set off the anti theft alarm and the horn wouldnt stop I tried putting the key in the door but this didnt help. Finally I just disconnected the horn. I hooked the battery up and got in the car and tried to start the engine. The only thing that started was the fan and some of the lights on the dash came on. I dont know what the hell is going on, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Look where the main positive cable runs to the battery. There is a black box looking thing on the cable that connects to the positive battery terminal. There is a 120AMP fuse there, please go and open the top of the black box and there it will sit. Look at the fuse if its still one piece. If it isnt that's your problem. Costs about 7 bucks at the dealer, and you can only get it there.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
BTW you cant just take the fuse out. There is two bolts on the side both 10mm, that you have to take out then the fuse will pop out. Otherwise you will break the fuse trying to get it out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked and it looks like the fuse is blown. Once I put the new one in will I still have to worry about the anti theft alrm going off and if so how do I shut it off.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Glad I could help out. Once you change the fuse. The alarm might start back up once you connect the battery, all you have to do if hit lock or unlock on the remote and it should stop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the fuse today and after i popped it in and hooked up the battery it immediately blew. Now I'm really not sure what's going on.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I know this may sound dumb but are you sure you have + connected to + and - connected to -. Ive seen it done before and its just a matter of not paying attention.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
As dumb as this sounds -- not to insult you or anything -- but that's usually a sign of the battery being in backwards.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I see I'm not the only one thinking that....
:agreed: I'd say if the batt is not backwards then there must be a serious short somewhere... like a really thick wire that is grounding out.

Are you connecting the ground terminal or the positive terminal 1st?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I really feel dumb :sad:The guys at advance gave me the wrong battery so that the post were opposite of what they should be. I just assumed it was the right one and put it in real quick and hooked it up without thinking. Now that I have the right battery in and replaced the fuses the car is running fine. Thanks for all the input though. Not sure how I'll live this one down.LOL

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
It happens, like I said its easy to do if you are in a rush or just not paying attention. Glad you got everything figured out though.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not at you but at this situation) I would hve never guessed that a battery would be installed backwards. Thats crazy sh!t ight there. Anyways, glad you got it solved! I think I had the same issue (reversed terminals) when I switched to a redtop. I ended up relocating it to the trunk because I already had to extend the OEM wiring in order to reach the + battery post. Glad you can smile at the simple mistake. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
your lucky it just took out a few fuses. A buddy of mine did this with a focus, and it blew every lightbulb, relay, and fuse in the vehicle as well as the instrument cluster, the radio, and the horn, and blew the airbags.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This reminds me of a time when we had a flightline generator in the shop and the village idiot was working on it...he was about to hook up the batteries, but a couple of us noticed he was doing it wrong (they had 2 batteries that were supposed to be hooked up in parallel, but he was hooking them up in series for 24v instead of 12v). We actually contemplated letting him fry the thing, but then realized we'd be the ones that would have to rewire it, so we stopped him...and wound up getting him decertified on the generator set as well...

Glad to hear you got it figured out though and didn't have to go through too many fuses in the process...

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
your lucky it just took out a few fuses. A buddy of mine did this with a focus, and it blew every lightbulb, relay, and fuse in the vehicle as well as the instrument cluster, the radio, and the horn, and blew the airbags.
Now THAT would be funny to see. The airbags are icing on the cake. I've heard of this being fatal on nissans and some other cars (serious wiring and component replacement). It's amazing all that lost was the fuse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts