Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this issue before I changed car battery. I changed the sensor and code has been gone for at least 6 months. Changed battery to a optima red top than code came back any idea what ccould be the issue.

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Engine type?
Either way sounds like you changed an oxygen sensor when the ecm was telling you the cat was on its way out 6 months ago and now it’s done, that code Actually tells you that the 02 sensor is doing its job and that the cat is not efficient in filtering pollutants coming out of the engine/ tail pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V6 3.0. it had no codes yesterday changed the battery and than code popped up again actually makes no sense

·
Low and Slow.
1,706 Posts
Get the cats changed out asap. I drove on those codes and cost me low compression on bank 1.
A cat won't cause compression issues.
Agreed.
When I first got my Suburban the previous owner had long tube headers, to glass packs, to the exhaust dumping just before the axle. Didn't sound great, but ran well.

On my Stratus coupe, the 2nd catalytic converter had been punched out due to failing, and in order to get it to pass inspection and turn the light off, I did the stacked spark plug anti foulers under the O2 sensor and it did the trick. As to why it seemed to pop up after a battery change, I cant tell you that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A cat won't cause compression issues.
Even with excessive back pressure on the heads? The reason I say this, is because the precat for bank 1 on my car was completely clogged and fused internally and this was the only bank that has low compression. Bank 2 on my car has good compression.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Even with excessive back pressure on the heads? The reason I say this, is because the precat for bank 1 on my car was completely clogged and fused internally and this was the only bank that has low compression. Bank 2 on my car has good compression.
A compression test shows pressure in the cylinder. That would not be effected whether the cat is clogged or not. You will still be compressing a given volume to another given volume (10.0:1 for example).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts