Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Citrix admins out there? I am in need of some help...

We have 4 Citrix servers in a farm, and our employees connect via ICA connections from the various service centers all over Florida and whatnot. Well, all was (more or less) going well, until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, when our uses stopped being able to right click and select a default printer.

The screen they see is a white box with the published applications in it. They also have a printer folder published, which they used to be able to go into, and select a printer. Now when they go into it, they can still see the printers, but can't right click on them. I've set the group policy to allow for right clicking. Also, under my administrative account, I have no problem right clicking as before.

What's also weird is that the users can right click on the "main screen" with the published applications, and they get the same context menu as before. But as I said, if they right click in the printer folder, nothing happens.

At the same time, their access to the control panel also got ganked. I've fixed that problem, but I can't figure out the context menu in the printer folder. It's starting to drive me insane. Any ideas? Or maybe other policies I should look at?

·
Premium Member
14,943 Posts
If they could do it before but can't do it now then something changed ... did you redo security groups that may have affected access to the published app? I have only recently become a (self-taught) Citrix admin so I'll help where I can, but my advice may not be 100% spot on :)

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they could do it before but can't do it now then something changed ... did you redo security groups that may have affected access to the published app? I have only recently become a (self-taught) Citrix admin so I'll help where I can, but my advice may not be 100% spot on :)
I didn't change anything, and neither did my boss (or his boss). We've had a lot of "weird" activity (I think) thanks to one of microsofts patches, and I'm sure it's related, but I don't know how or where. The reason I think that is beacuse all the "weird" stuff started happening at the same damn time. Another weird thing that started happening was Internet Explorer started giving the damn "this is not a trusted file" crap on everything that users downloaded from the Intranet. The users run reports which they download as a .pdf, so everytime they wanted to print, they had to accept the file (which we're going to assume everyone is an idiot and didn't know that, and thus called IT).

We added the servers to the trusted sites on default domain policy, but our users on the thin clients never got that policy change, which is really weird. Local users did. :flamed:

But I'm really not sure if this is a Citrix problem, or a group policy problem, or maybe even some combination of both. :nuts:

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Track down the time that this started occurring as best as possible and cross reference with the Microsoft that were installed. Then, research to find out EXACTLY what the updates changed and also if they have any known negative impacts on Citrix.

Taking that approach may help you find the root problem quicker so you can diagnose the issue.

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Track down the time that this started occurring as best as possible and cross reference with the Microsoft that were installed. Then, research to find out EXACTLY what the updates changed and also if they have any known negative impacts on Citrix.

Taking that approach may help you find the root problem quicker so you can diagnose the issue.
I started doing that, and came across an IE patch that was known to screw people over when navigating to websites, and downloading stuff (basically the EXACT problems our users were having with IE), and removed the patch...and nothing. :squint: That kinda pissed me off, so I started working on the control panel & right click since that's more important than IE to us atm. (yay for firefox!)

Looks like it's time to start again :sad:

·
Donate 4 Life
3,767 Posts
Create a new group and add some of the user's in the test group and see if the rights come back. We have our's set to where typical end user's have no rights to local drives and are unable to right click in the environment. For printer they have to click on the portal icon and tell it to set default printer, then what ever their local printer (installed on machine) is will allow them to print to.

About IE did yall just recently upgrade to 7.0 and are they secure (https) sites or not?

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, we've had IE for awhile. The intranet sites aren't https. We've found that after adding the sites to the local trusted zones, they can download the files they need and print. What's weird about that, though, is that even though we added it to the general domain, the users in the service centers didn't get the update. But the corporate users did...

Also, we've noticed that some (not all) users can't navigate in IE anymore...

That aside, I'll have to try messing with groups later in the week. But, we don't use the RDP connections, we use ICA. So, when they click "Printers", it opens a printer window, but all it shows is available printers.

The way we have it set up:
4 Citrix Servers with all that fancy load balancing mess
All servers have the same applications shared
All servers have all the printers installed that are in use by the service centers (~60 service centers), and each service center only has rights to their printer, so that is all they see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts