Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I violated Sam
10,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the best way to delete old files and bits of info that might be "questionable" (by work standards) short of erasing the hard drive? I frequently use the options under "tools" and "performance and maintenance" but that doesn't get all the stuff that lingers. Is there anything else I can do?

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,307 Posts
You need to "wipe" your hard drive. Hold on while I search for a freeware that can do it for you.

Edit ... back! Okay, after deleting files on your computer it's not "really" deleted. You can run some software to recover delete files. To permanently delete those files, you need to "wipe" those free space of your hard drive.

This one looks good ... Eraser - Free secure data erase tool to wipe files on your hard drive

Try these also ...
[email protected] Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. Low Level Format.
Free Secure File / Disk Deletion Tools: Destructively delete or wipe data in files / hard disks (thefreecountry.com)

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
If you arn't trying to delete your entire HD, just useless junk, I'd HIGHLY suggest CCleaner (crap cleaner)
ccleaner.com

This deletes useless trash files, from OLD windows updates all the way down to explorer cache.

I cleaned a friends computer with this. ONLY this program cleaned up 6 gigs from his computer. He downloads a lot of games and deletes often, only knew the defrag/cleanup from windows.

If you try it, let me know how much space it cleans up :)

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
If you arn't trying to delete your entire HD, just useless junk, I'd HIGHLY suggest CCleaner (crap cleaner)
ccleaner.com

This deletes useless trash files, from OLD windows updates all the way down to explorer cache.

I cleaned a friends computer with this. ONLY this program cleaned up 6 gigs from his computer. He downloads a lot of games and deletes often, only knew the defrag/cleanup from windows.

If you try it, let me know how much space it cleans up :)
I'm gonna try to run it and see how much space I save

edit: I saved 1,254 MB, so just over 1 GB

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I'm gonna try to run it and see how much space I save

edit: I saved 1,254 MB, so just over 1 GB
Not bad. I always run everything multiple times untill they all find 0. Especially the 'Issues'. I've ran that 5-7 times when doing my friends computer. Deleting games wrong and such left a lot of dead shortcuts and files.

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
I'm checking the registry for issues right now. Unfortunately I have to leave to go to an office party so I won't be able to report the results for a while

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
I just wanted to report that my comp is running much better now. Most noticeable difference is when I open "My Computer" or "My Documents" and am fishing through different files. Now there is no waiting time each time I open a different file, the change is instant! Thank you so much, here's to you Tx4Codeman :cheers:. Hope you have good results too Sal

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Thanks!

If you want to get into a bit more file digging, cleaning up msnconfig could also help get rid of unneeded processes, including the ones at startup. In some cases this will be as benificial, if not more, than a cleaning program. Through msconfig, you can deselect processes starting up with windows. This will speed up your PC Startup, and without these running in the background, open more available ram for your other things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts