Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Cloud's "stage 2" turbo thread

7788 Views 158 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  04gsNA
Hello everybody. It's been sometime since I've really put myself out there. Currently, the car is torn apart and hasn't been worked on since the rings died on me and I had to focus on college... now that it's summer, I can work on it.

I just want to share with you guys my project, and as always comments are VERY useful - especially if you want to link me to information or make suggestions about my set-up.

I will be using this page as my main resource...

pre-fitted items:

Parts:
UPDATED PARTS LIST: 6/4/2008:

A black X indicates I do not have the part
A red X indicates that I am waiting for the part.
A blue X indicates that I already have the part.
A green X indicates that I already have the part installed.

Turbo components:
*BEP 4-bolt DSM flanged 47-trim t04b turbo X
*Internal 38mm wastegate X
*Same-side FMIC X
*2.5" mild-steel intercooler piping X
*2.0" mild-steel intercooler piping X
*T-bolt clamps X
*3-ply couplers X
*Greddy Type-S BOV X

Intake/exhaust components:
*DSM turbo exhaust manifold. X
*3" downpipe X
*3" full exhaust X
*60mm GT throttle body X

Fuel/tuning components:
*EVO fuel rail X
*EVO fuel pressure regulator X
*EVO fuel pump X
*MAF-T with 3" GM MAF for blow-thru set-up X
*AEM electronic boost controller X
*AEM UEGO X
*Tactrix cable w/OpenECU software for EVOs X
*2003 EVO 8 ECU X

Bottom end components:
*Custom Weisco stock bore 8.5:1 forged pistons X
*Custom Eagle rods X

SOHC head components:
Parts and services performed on this head:
*rpw 272/272 stage 3 turbo cam X
*rpw titanium valve springs X
*new retainers X
*new valve guide bushings X
*aem adjustable cam gear X
*ported and polished intake and exhaust ports X
*back cut exhaust valves X
*5 angle valve job X
*resurfaced X
*black powdercoated valve cover X
*new gaskets X

Cooling/oil:
*2 Zigro slim radiator fans X
*full aluminum race radiator X
*OBX radiator hoses X
*Transmission oil cooler X
*-4an turbo oil feed line X
*-10an turbo oil drain line X
*custom oil pan with -10an bung X
*oil sandwich plate X

etc.
*Eagle vacuum manifold X
*Carbon fiber clock-pod stealth gauge cluster X
*Polyurethane motor mounts X

Extra parts
*Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator X
*780cc Precision injectors X
*Wolbro 255lph fuel pump X

The "Extra parts" will be reserved for the need to increase fuel capacity... but for now the EVO fuel parts will do to make tuning a lot easier (especially with a crazy head like that).

Reference:
*Dual ECU: Wiring (Osirisfool), EVO (RRE), Immobilizer delete (fasteclipse3 - from Vercetti's thread), and of course: Wiring (Balla), wiring (johnsgalant)
*Fuel & tuning: Injector scaling (steadly2004 - example), Scaling & Lat (slava), 780cc PTE scaling, MAF scaling, EVO components (GSKNIGHT), MAF-T install (jbasol), MAF-T info, Software, tutorial, other tutorial, EVO tutorial.
*Automatic transmission: Tranny cooler and parts, 2-3 shift flare fix
*AEM parts (wiring): UEGO, Tru-Boost
*ECUflash ULTIMATE GUIDE!! ***A MUST READ FOR ALL!!**
*Basic Enginuity
*My first turbo thread pg 7

... to be continued
See less See more
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Looks good, cant wait to see what you do with it. And excellent job on the reference section, very helpful.
Looking good. Just a heads up though. I ran an S-10 fan on the hotside and the Zirgo on the cold. The issue for me was that the Zirgo was a few inches from the turbo and the heat killed the motor. You have a bit more room than I do, but just be careful when fitting everything up. Get the 30amp relay and the temp controller. Even though they claim to be quiet and whatnot, they're as loud as stock and have a very unique pitch.

If you can, build a shroud of some sort for them. In my research on cooling, fans without shrouds don't nearly pull as much air as fans with them.
Build looks great though and very down to earth. How'd you polish the mounts. When I swap in the new motor I want to clean everything up in there.
I just polished them with a wire brush, no solvents besides cleaning it off with mineral spirits every now and then. I don't expect them to stay that way long, they'll oxidize.

As for the fans... I'm still unsure on how I'll set them up once the motor is in. The condenser is gone so theres room in front of it, but I'm still a bit iffy on that. Mounted as pull fans, I was going to make a shroud but didn't consider the heat issues because with the stock fan, the motors were pushed closer to the turbo (since they were so big) and could withstand the heat.
The stock fan is definately more durable than the aftermarket ones. I couldn't believe that after my second drive it had burnt out. The factory S-10 one I bought fit in there after a bit of hacking and was small enough to fit on the hot side. Give it a shot, if you have an issue Zirgo replaced mine immediately.
:woot: effin beautiful so far!
do u think that oil drain off the turbo is in the best position to evacuate as much as possible because there is a kink that looks a little odd to me.. everything else looks very nice and shiny.. good luck
It works off of oil pressure, it won't cause any restrictions. I have a few bends in mine to work around my downpipe
that beast look!!!:yum:!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks good man. I'm really looking forward to finding out how much power you and XwP1ayawX can make with our SOHC's :yesway:
Reactions: 1
I am lovin this second build I go to the .org site just to see his build...
Reactions: 1
do u think that oil drain off the turbo is in the best position to evacuate as much as possible because there is a kink that looks a little odd to me.. everything else looks very nice and shiny.. good luck
The kink in the line is actually housed and the hose inside won't collapse on itself (it's basically a 90 degree hard-line)... I was under the impression (when I got it made) that the line was a lot shorter than that... haha. (it's 1ft between the fittings where I thought it would be 1ft from tip to tip... an additional 6 inches)
I am really curious as to where you got that chrome heat shield for the headers.
I am really curious as to where you got that chrome heat shield for the headers.
I got it from a member on here. I have, though, seen them in online stores while looking for miscellaneous DSM parts (ie: bolts) let me see if I can dig up a link...

edt: ah got it - JM Fabrications
One thing:

28 bolts... are you serious right now? :eek3: (Does not include the 4 bolts that hold the halves together)
See less See more
By the way: to all you custom turbo guys...

If you want an alternative to the expensive ($139.00 + shipping) Krank Vents offered by ET-Performance... a guy I met on the EVO forums makes quality Crank Vent kits that I'm going to use for my set-up... he mainly sells through eBay but you can email him and get a discounted price ($5 since no eBay fees) at: [email protected]
He has tested these on his turboed s2000 and many members on the EVO forums have used them.

PCV info
:worship:...thanksssssssss,this is very good info....:whistling:im buying it:fever::lol:

By the way: to all you custom turbo guys...

If you want an alternative to the expensive ($139.00 + shipping) Krank Vents offered by ET-Performance... a guy I met on the EVO forums makes quality Crank Vent kits that I'm going to use for my set-up... he mainly sells through eBay but you can email him and get a discounted price ($5 since no eBay fees) at: [email protected]
He has tested these on his turboed s2000 and many members on the EVO forums have used them.

PCV info
:worship:...thanksssssssss,this is very good info....:whistling:im buying it:fever::lol:
You guys are lucky because he offers it in black now... I bought my set before they were made in black lol

Oh, and a note: Where can I find a pick-up sock for the fuel pump? Mine is still modified for the Walbro but the EVO pump is stock size. I'm guessing stalership, huh?

and... its a shame they discontinued the AEM pulleys for our 4cyls... dress up the engine bay just a little, you know?
well at first i was using the walbro pump and i modified the sock,later on i got the evo pump and i just used the same modified sock,my pump fits nice,never had any problem with it....

i already got my pullys from them(before they discontinued it!!! woot woot!!!:lol:..they do look nice:fever:

You guys are lucky because he offers it in black now... I bought my set before they were made in black lol

Oh, and a note: Where can I find a pick-up sock for the fuel pump? Mine is still modified for the Walbro but the EVO pump is stock size. I'm guessing stalership, huh?

and... its a shame they discontinued the AEM pulleys for our 4cyls... dress up the engine bay just a little, you know?
1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.