Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well kids, I think its time we get this started again. I think we need to make some changes this time around. We had good participation at the start last time, but only a scant handful stuck around for more than the first couple of weeks. Please give some ideas, incentives, etc. on how we can make this round more engaging and worthwhile for all. I have a couple of ideas, but I want to hear from you all first.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I wasn't really involved atall whatsoever so I'm not entirely certain on how it was setup before, I did see that the winners did get a nice chunk of change, so obviously keeping people encouraged would be some sort of prize, i'm not sure if you enforced an entry fee or not, but that is definately a big priority that I could see you going for.

Another thing to possibly throw out there is to setup teams, like on the show. I know it may sound like a stupid idea, but you could make a bit more inner-competition this way, by tallying up the weight loss totals for each team and see who pulls out in front more-so and then could make somewhat of a rivalry.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Devin - and anyone else unsure - last round worked like this:

Participants were encouraged to send a modest ($15) prize fee to the organizers. This wasn't mandatory, but you could not win the cash prize without having put in the $15. You could still win the competition without giving the cash, but the cash award would go to the first runner up who ponied up. This largely wasn't an issue - We had over $300 in the pot.

The rules were simple - Twice a month, the contestants were to provide photos and weight. At the end of the contest, Cam and myself chose the contestant(s) who showed the most improvement. We tried enforcing the 2 week updates, but after awhile we had no choice but to back off. Several people stuck with it, however, and made really great strides in improving themseleves.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
How long did the first one go on for?
I think 3-4 months. It was a fair amount of time.

Unlike last time I will definitely be in. I have (in fact) already started last weekend. 5 days of gym time this past week and Im def. going at lunch today.

It's on. :metal:

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
I was going to participate, but I felt I didn't belong. My goals are to bulk up and re-gain weight that I used to have, so I pretty much immediately dropped out. Is this going to be all about weight loss again, or will there be something for gains?
It wasn't all about weight loss the last time, either. See LUNAR's thread.

·
1,150 Posts
I think the last one was handled well. I think some were frustrated that the "rules" weren't being followed by all but I think having that as a consideration in the final judging covers it. The twice a month picture posting was a bit of a chore but I think is worth while.

The purpose is to provide some competition and support to get started on the right track for a healthly lifestyle. I don't think we want it to be too reward oriented throughout because there needs to be self-motivation to continue on when those rewards aren't there. I think the financial prize to the final winner covers that.

Would it make sense to have a preliminary judging at the midway point to let everyone know where they stand? Or to come up with some type of ranking system throughout?

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
Also... the forum is private only to those participating and the pics are not to EVER be shared with others was my understanding of it the last time around. I imagine it will be the same this time around.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely Shelly - same will apply once again. To my knowledge, it wasn't violated.

Spyder - I agree with you on all points. Had we truly enforced the rules 100%, I don't think anyone would be left in the contest!

One of the things I was thinking about was a ranking system for contestants, similar to the way they do it on TV - percentage of weight lost (and something equally specific for those gaining, etc), just to take some subjectivity out of the judging.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Meh my two months traveling for work kind of kept me off of a consistent schedule. Then again such is life and you have to work around what is thrown at you. Money really isn't a motivator for me unless we get to some fairly significant payouts. $300 while it would be nice isn't enough to get me to work out if I don't really want to. So the only motivation that would keep me with it is seeing improvements in how I look and feel.

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
So Damian do we have a start date in mind? Will you be the main contact on it this round? And.... where is WOZ???

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I like the idea of a ranking system, that is a really good idea. You could just go solely off percentages and then just update them at the end of the week? I'm very excited for this competition again (what good timing my ban finally ended). I too, would love to hear a starting day, and as soon as possible would be ideal considering Beach Season is coming up! Haha, no seriously, it is.

The 'Midway' judging would be ideal IMO, but worthless if we did to the ranking system, because we would automatically know who is winning. Just a thought.

I would keep the updating system basically the same, as well as keeping it private, some people are emberassed and if it was confined to the group that was in it together the pressure would be off.

Oh, and the other rules. Are diet pills against the rules? Any sort of growth hormone pills for those looking to bulk out of the question?.. As well as Creotene, protein shakes, energy drinks, energy pills, etc? Or is this section of the competion more lax on the rules..?

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tim, I'm with you. $300 won't do much for me. For others, its a big deal. The only trouble I have with basing it on percentages is... lying. No offense, but you're all not weighing in on the same scale and being monitored by a 3rd party. People can say they lost 3lbs this week, and who can question it? That's where the pictures come in, really.

Shelly - No start date, but soon. Cam hasn't been on since last year. Woz is right outside my office. I don't know if she'll join it again. I'll ask.

As for rules about what you can and can't use... Again - not something we can enforce. My own opinion on it is that as long as it is legal, so be it. However, we're trying to foster a mindset of being healthier people, not just thinner, or stronger. I personally use vitamins, protein powder, and a very small amount of creatine.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts