Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my 04 G Sedan going out of warranty this month, I was toying with the idea of getting a second car that would be a weekend toy/track slut. Daily driving my dual purpose G (sees the track about 3-4 times a year) is tolerable but not ideal with the stiff sidewalled RE05A's, Cusco Zero2 coilovers, and squeeking Stoptech brakes. I figured I'd get a Z since I could transfer over all my track mods from the G to the Z and not have to start fresh with some other platform and spend even more money. Plus I'm already familiar with the VQ35 and the FM platform so that would make things easier as well. Found a very well taken care of '04 Perf Z with only 26k miles on it and 2 years left of extended warranty. Picked it up on Wed before Thanksgiving. The thing drives almost just as tight as my already modded G. Can't imagine how it's going to feel after I swap all the mods over and get her on the track this Jan at Thunderhill. Anyways here's some not so good pics of it so excuse the poor photography and laziness.

·
Lower & Slower
272 Posts
a Z is always a good idea. Unless you can't afford it.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. I really do love the car. Bad things about the car is that the interior is pretty cheap and that cargo space is very limited. But what do you expect from a no nonsense sports car? The clutch engagment is pretty high but there is a kit out there to fix that. Ohter things that the earlier models suffered from was the infamous tire feathering, rear axle clicking, cd player not ejecting, and the window motor going out. The previous owner already had the cd player and window motor replaced so I'm covered there.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
Looks great man! Almost too pretty to use for track duty...almost :lol: Will the stock 18s fit with the StopTechs?

I just bought a set of the OEM Rays Grand Touring wheels (18x9 fronts, 19x10 rears) but really unsure what to do about the suspension setup. I don't track it like you will do, so I think something like the Zero2s are overkill for me...I wouldn't mind a simple springsetup, but after adding the cost of matching dampers, the price isn't much different than the Tein Basics. Doesn't help that the search function on my350z is piss-poor. Now I'm just ranting. :D

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for? PM me if you don't want to list it here. I'm just curious since its so similiar to my own (2004.5 Performance model with 24K miles).

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
I just bought a set of the OEM Rays Grand Touring wheels (18x9 fronts, 19x10 rears) but really unsure what to do about the suspension setup. I don't track it like you will do, so I think something like the Zero2s are overkill for me...I wouldn't mind a simple springsetup, but after adding the cost of matching dampers, the price isn't much different than the Tein Basics.
The Basics aren't really all they are cracked up to be, and you didn't mention factoring in having to buy adjustable front and rear camber arms because the Z's camber goes out of whack at roughly .8" and beyond, and it's not adjustable. :woot: And trust me, you will have to go this route if you plan on dropping your car and want to maintain any tread life on your tires, I've already been there. :lol:

A good route to go if you want to drop over and inch and maintain tire life. (I'd search for cheaper prices-this is to give you a ballpark)

Eibach springs

Adjustable A arms and rear camber arms

Tokico Blues they are perfect for dropped Z's who don't track, and they are dirt cheap.

But all those parts you are going to need if you drop and inch or more, otherwise you will be chewing through tires every couple of months due to the completely inadjustable camber Nissan gives us.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
The camber is out of whack at STOCK height :lol: yeah, I know that I'll have to buy the front and rear camber arms, which is why I am trying to keep the spring/damper setup under $1000...I really don't want to spend more than $1500 on the whole deal if I can avoid it. Even at regular prices though, your suggestion would be almost $1000 on the dot.

The past two cars I have owned I did a spring/damper setup, and even if I was happy with them at first, later on I always found myself wanting to go lower. The coilovers give me that option, which is why I'm considering it. I just don't need the balls-to-the wall Zero2s like dklau has :lol:

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
T
The past two cars I have owned I did a spring/damper setup, and even if I was happy with them at first, later on I always found myself wanting to go lower. The coilovers give me that option, which is why I'm considering it.
I used to be of that mindset too, until I realized that the Z only has 4 inches of clearance stock. Apparently the Z is the lowest car Nissan ever built and when they brought the car from overseas they had to design all new ramps for the ships because of the ground clearance issue, on top of that, with the v2 nose it cuts the clearance down to 3.5 inches, and with my pretty non-aggressive drop I am still sitting with 2.75" of clearance, so I really can't go much lower without risking fucking things up. :lol:

The car below is a kid who moved up from south Florida to Tallahassee (my hometown) with his Z at that superlow height (spring/strut/camber arms) and he is having some problems with clearance.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, I'll actually be swapping over the 5Zigen wheels from the G over to the Z. Not sure if the stock 18's fit the Stoptechs but I'll try just for curiousity sake.

And as far the Zero2's go you'll be surprised that they can actually maintain at or near stock 350Z ride height at it's highest setting. At the worst it'll probably only be like a half inch drop on the Z. I have had no tire issues at all the 10 months or so I've had the coilovers and I'm still running stock camber arms. My alignment settings are about -1.5 camber F, 0 toe F, -1.2 camber R, .01 toe in R. I'm hoping this will translate over to the Z but I'm not crossig my fingers.

Sam, awesome find on the Tokico HP shocks! I didn't even know they had these out. I knew they had the adjustable Dspecs but not these. I think these would go great for a basic budget setup. Something like these shocks and Tein H Techs or the new Swift Sport Mach springs. Both are slightly stiffer in spring rate and the drops are under an inch so you probably won't need the camber and toe arms. You might want to look into these Mark.

Tein H-Tech
HIGH.TECH
Spring Rates - 6.4kg/6.7kg
Drop Rates - 0.28in/0.16in

Swift Sport Mach
New Swift Sport Mach Spec R Springs! - MY350Z.COM Forums
Spring Rates - 6kg/6.5kg
Drop Rates - 0.787in/0.591in

Stock 350Z Spring Rates
03/04 - 5.6kg/6.12kg
04.5+ - 5.6kg/7.6kg

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Yeah, I honestly think I am one of the few who knew about the Blues because everyone on My350Z never heard about them when I posted about them, :lol: but they are dirt cheap and quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh snap, too me the stock height is already low enough. That kid is just asking for it. Did he get the hood, roof, and hatch painted black? Or is that all carbon fiber?

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Oh snap, too me the stock height is already low enough. That kid is just asking for it. Did he get the hood, roof, and hatch painted black? Or is that all carbon fiber?
Painted, but the hood is CF, that is way too low for my taste too, at least he's fast, he is using the Turbonetics single kit and is running low 12s, I just don't know how he could use that kind of speed with it being that low. :lol:

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seriously, I'd be scared to drive that thing at normal speeds let alone fast on public roads... :lol:

Is that your car in the pic you posted above? Looks great! Can you PM some details about your Nismo bumper like who you got it from, price, price painted, fitment, and such. Thanks.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Seriously, I'd be scared to drive that thing at normal speeds let alone fast on public roads... :lol:

Is that your car in the pic you posted above? Looks great! Can you PM some details about your Nismo bumper like who you got it from, price, price painted, fitment, and such. Thanks.
Yup, that's my car, and I just PM'd you.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
I used to be of that mindset too, until I realized that the Z only has 4 inches of clearance stock. Apparently the Z is the lowest car Nissan ever built and when they brought the car from overseas they had to design all new ramps for the ships because of the ground clearance issue, on top of that, with the v2 nose it cuts the clearance down to 3.5 inches, and with my pretty non-aggressive drop I am still sitting with 2.75" of clearance, so I really can't go much lower without risking fucking things up. :lol:
well thats definitely a good point :lol: I'm thinking more about the Eibach setup that you posted, especially since I can get Eibachs at cost...but the Grand Tourings have the car sitting slightly higher up than my stock 18s (I have the same wheels as dklau's new Z), so I wouldn't mind a slightly lower drop. What springs are you on? Eibach Pros? .75" all around?

dklau I don't mind getting the control arms; in fact, I'm ready to get them with my FACTORY specs--04.5s supposedly had that corrected, but my front tires definitely had feathering issues and I had to replace them a few thousand miles ago. :mad: I definitely want a bigger drop than those that you listed, but I really appreciate the suggestion. I didn't consider it before, but today I've been thinking about a cup kit, which is essentially an airbag to adjust height with a coilover. One of my best friends owns a hot rod shop and is one of the techs for ChassisTech; he did a G35 last year with a custom cupkit and it looks fantastic, and allowed for about 3" of in-cabin height adjustability. I'll see if I can find a pic...

The car below is a kid who moved up from south Florida to Tallahassee (my hometown) with his Z at that superlow height (spring/strut/camber arms) and he is having some problems with clearance.

that looks like he cut his springs :lol: Actually, I think the main problem is that he needs spacers, those offsets suck.

·
Frank
3,940 Posts
Congrats on the Z, looks great.

Sam I love the new bumper, the Z is looking great. It looks like a dinosaur stepped on your buddy's Z, though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts