Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I searched and found an old thread with the similar question for a 4cyl and thought i'd go ahead and make another one.

I've had an 05 gt eclipse for over a year now. It's my first manual transmission, so the only other experience I have with sticks is cars I test drove and friends' cars. I've been wondering about this for awhile but figured it was just how this transmission is.

ok, this is hard to explain but I want to explain exactly what it feels like is going on. When the engine is off, i can shift freely without depressing the clutch. With the engine on, I (obviously) depress the clutch, but it takes considerable force to shift to any gear. If I shift slowly, it feels like teeth grab at the shifter and start grinding. I always have to push the shifter past this barrier, in every gear. It gets easier as the gears go up, but first is usually close to impossible to shift into (even if i'm sitting still) Sometimes adding some gas can help, but there is still that rough barrier before it is engaged, and every time I shift it makes a "KLUNK" at the very least. Third fourth or fifth gets away with out "KLUNKing" sometimes.

I'm not mechanically knowledgeable, but I did change the manual transmission oil. I replaced it with the mix that is sold by road race. I also have a short shifter I installed, however this problem existed before I installed the short shifter, the short shifter may have made it more noticeable, however. I also put harder bushings on the shifter tower.

If anyone has the time to read all that and try to help me out I appreciate it. I'm not looking for the smoothest shift ever, I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my car

thanks i really appreciate it

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I have no answer for you, but i'll just put in what i've noticed also.
1st and Reverse can occasionally be a pain to kick into. I believe i read this is a common thing with the 3g's. Someone may have posted it in the 'What you hate most about your car' thread..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i know what you mean and understand that, I think it's a good idea to make first and reverse harder to get into so you don't throw it into first on accident. I just am wondering if there is something going on because on that barrier I have to push so hard to get past. It's really hard to explain exactly what it feels like. It's almost like I have to push it through teeth but if I take just an extra second then it grinds really bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the clutch fluid located? I looked at some of the threads on here and can't figure it out :uh:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
it looks less than half full, close to the need to be filled line. Is there a certain fluid that needs to go in there, or can I just run up to pep boys and get some brake fluid?

·
6G72_4_LIFE
196 Posts
Use Dot 3 Break Fluid

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Try rev-matching more often. Sounds like you've got worn-out synchromesh.
Mitsu trannys tend to be a little 'notchy' from the factories, but if you're getting a grinding as you go into gear... it may be your synchros. 1st & reverse tend to be a b!tch in these cars.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
Worn synchros in less than 3 years? :confused: They shouldn't wear out so quickly unless maybe the car was abused with a lot of high-rpm clutch drops and speed shifting.

I'd drain and flush the clutch reservoir with new fluid rather than just top off, if I were you. Do a search for "Scot Gray Mix" for advice on what to use and in what proportions.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i can say that i am currently and have had the same problem for a while now.. My car is and '02 GS 5spd and i have the same problem. i gunna take it to a transmission place but i dont kno if it is just the clutch or the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I topped it off and it seems to have helped a little. the fluid is murky and brown, so i think it needs to be flushed totally... once the weather warms up I guess.

Thanks for the help guys, i know i sounded like an idiot trying to explain this and I appreciate the help I got :bigthumb:

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Honestly it sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging. You already checked the amount of brake fluid in the hydrolic system. That is good. This also means that you probably don't have any leaks in the system, but it would not hurt to check. You need to make sure that there is no air in the hydrolic lines, and that the clutch pedal height is properly adjusted. If everything in the hydrolic system checks out, then you probably have something wrong with your clutch. So, you would need a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i have the same issue I think most of us do...when shifting into first I usually double clutch it that seems to help and I try to shift in while moving a little like 1-2 mph that almost all the time shifts crazy smooth..just an idea

·
Registered
617 Posts
that and I will push it in but let it slide into place on its own if that makes sense to anyone...lol

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Brake fluid for clutch? I need to get home and see what the advanced discount guy sold me lol

Time to search for instructions on flushing them out since our manual doesn't

·
Registered
91 Posts
Double check and make sure the pedal is adjusted properly, should be a post of how to do it somwhere. My car did the same exact thing out on the strip one night, wrenched under, 5 min later, back to normal. If you cant find the post message me and ill give you a walk through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that and I will push it in but let it slide into place on its own if that makes sense to anyone...lol
that makes sense to me, sounds like what i do a lot.

I'll adjust the clutch tomorrow probably and make sure it's good. I've seen guides on it before, if I have any issues i'll definitely shoot you a PM. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Flushing the clutch

Brake fluid for clutch? I need to get home and see what the advanced discount guy sold me lol

Time to search for instructions on flushing them out since our manual doesn't
Flushing the clutch is easy there is a threads out here or other forum on how to bleed your brakes, same principle apply, there is bleeder screw just like the brake caliper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts