Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on replacing my clutch. When i take off in 1st, it slips until it finally catches at 5.5 - 6.0 rpm... Please realize that i'm just a 'weekend mechanic' with not much experience to do this myself. This is my daily driver and need it fixed asap.

My Options:

Dealership:
* Clutch: $420 (factory clutch)
* Labor: $650 (regardless of what clutch i use)
* Will let me use my own clutch ($230 shipped ebay, oem exedy)
* If oem clutch, will guarantee install for 1 yr / 12,000 miles
* Best cost: $880

Aamco:
* Clutch: $419 or $490 (one without/with mv1m?)
* Labor: $496 (regardless of what clutch i use)
* Will let me use my own clutch ($230 shipped ebay, oem exedy)
* If I buy the clutch, they will NOT guarantee install.
* Best cost: $726 (no warranty) $915 (warranty)

Aamco Mechanic as side job:
* Clutch & Labor: $650 cash, no warranty

I guess the big question is if i want a warranty or not. Anyone else have experiences with replacing a clutch? I live in Indiana.. so if anyone else knows where I could go to get this done.. let me know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any good transmission shop can do it for cheap. $880 isn't bad for a clutch. You might be able to save $200 by not going with the dealer, but a warranty might be worth it to you.
When mine went, I was in northern MI well away from any dealers, so I had to go with a transmission shop. Cost about $700 with a parts and workmanship warranty.
I'd go with the dealership (the ones around here charge around $1100)... they know what they're doing, using good parts, and have an unbeatable warranty.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I don't think a labor warranty is really needed for a clutch install, as long as they can gaurantee that they will get it working before they quit or finish the job. If it works when they hand you the keys then it should work until it wears out. The clutch itself will come with a warranty. If the clutch went bad 1 month after having it installed then you would have to pay the install shop AGAIN to remove/replace it anyway. Their labor warranty would not cover them removing the clutch due to a faulty clutch. Thats what AAMCO told me when they did my tranny/clutch/LSD/flywheel install. FWIW, I would avoid AAMCO like the plague. Took them 3 months to finish my car up and now reverse gear is all torn up.

I would suggest using a spec or act clutch (stage 2 or less only). I imagine they would last longer than the OEM one.

$500 is a common cost for removing and reinstalling a tranny on the 3G. That should include a 1+ year warranty on labor. Also, I would suggest taking them your own tranny fluids. Ou tranny seems to be picking about what can be used and the type we use is not typically carried by AAMCO (per my Aamco tranny guy).

·
e-thug hating.
1,070 Posts
got your clutch done yet?

i'm trying to get mine done too.[maybe i should stop procrastinating] there is a shop up here in westfield, they want to charge me $350 for the labor, with me getting the parts. just thought i'd let you know since you live in indy[?]. the service quality? no personal experience, but heard a lot of good about them from friends. i've also seen quite a few moded cars being worked on in there...

and ow, maybe you should save a tad bit more and go for the ACT HD kit, rre got it for 460. read a lot about the spec kits, not doing so good.

:twothumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts