Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting quoted just under a grand for timing belt/water replacement on my '02 GS.

Parts look to be in the neighborhood of a few hundred bucks- is this a $500-$600 labor job?

·
Registered
783 Posts
That sounds right to me. Even the 4-cylinder cars are sort of a pain to work on. Most shops around here charge around $100/hr and 5-6 hours sounds about what it should take a professional.

·
31,366 Posts
Getting quoted just under a grand for timing belt/water replacement on my '02 GS.

Parts look to be in the neighborhood of a few hundred bucks- is this a $500-$600 labor job?
Sounds about in the ball park... I remember years ago mine was 700.00 but that was at least 8 years ago.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,934 Posts
Wow! It's amazing how much they charge for a relatively simple job.... albeit, a very important maintenance repair.

·
31,366 Posts
Wow! It's amazing how much they charge for a relatively simple job.... albeit, a very important maintenance repair.
Dealerships....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have not done a 4 cyl. On one of these cars, but the 6G72 was not too bad. It just takes time and patience. If you're moderately mechanically inclined, I would say do it yourself if you feel confident and have the tools.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,934 Posts
I have not done a 4 cyl. On one of these cars, but the 6G72 was not too bad. It just takes time and patience. If you're moderately mechanically inclined, I would say do it yourself if you feel confident and have the tools.
It's got to be easier than the v-6 with only one cam sprocket to deal with.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's got to be easier than the v-6 with only one cam sprocket to deal with.
Maybe, I never found the number of sprockets to be the issue, but the clearance between the engine and the body. I did a timing belt on an '04 lancer that had a 4-cylinder and although there were less cam sprockets, it had a timing belt-driven oil pump that I think was also a balance shaft, so I think it was a wash. Only slightly less time than the V6 eclipse because the fender opening was in a better spot in relation to the engine on that car. Still sucked working between the body and the front of the engine though.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,934 Posts
Maybe, I never found the number of sprockets to be the issue, but the clearance between the engine and the body. I did a timing belt on an '04 lancer that had a 4-cylinder and although there were less cam sprockets, it had a timing belt-driven oil pump that I think was also a balance shaft, so I think it was a wash. Only slightly less time than the V6 eclipse because the fender opening was in a better spot in relation to the engine on that car. Still sucked working between the body and the front of the engine though.
OK, having not done the timing belt on a four-cylinder perhaps I can't really comment on the ease vs the V-6. But with my GTS, the plenum needs to come off to create ample room to control the rear sprocket. And sometimes that rear sprocket doesn't like to "sit" in place because the camshaft is under load from the valve springs at that point.

But the number of sprockets does make a difference. If you've ever tried to change the timing belt of a dual cam V6, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
783 Posts
OK, having not done the timing belt on a four-cylinder perhaps I can't really comment on the ease vs the V-6. But with my GTS, the plenum needs to come off to create ample room to control the rear sprocket. And sometimes that rear sprocket doesn't like to "sit" in place because the camshaft is under load from the valve springs at that point.

But the number of sprockets does make a difference. If you've ever tried to change the timing belt of a dual cam V6, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Ah yeah, my experience is with the GT so I didn't have to remove the intake plenum for the timing belt. I can imagine having 4 cams to deal with is a bitch. Makes sense why they'd have so many fixtures for the DOHC subarus for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts