·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAR: 2001

SUBMODEL: GT

TRANSMISSION: Manual

MILES: 136,000

PROBLEM: First of all, this problem ONLY occurs on cold/first starts, in cold weather. This problem did not exist before this fall/winter. Here is a description:
I start up the car. It turns and starts fine, but while it is on its second or third turn, I hear a deafeningly LOUD clatter/chatter from the engine. The sound is so bad that I could probably hear it from a few hundred feet away. I have been unable so far to pinpoint its exact location. After the engine has started, the clatter continues. Left alone, it usually lasts under 30 seconds. However, if I turn the vehicle off and start it again, the clatter isn't usually present on the second start, even if I turn it off and on within 5 seconds of the initial start. I have determined that this is NOT valve or lifter tick - it sounds absolutely nothing like a ticking noise. The sound is an extremely loud clatter that goes away when the engine is warm, so I believe its not the lash adjuster either. I read through the forums on here and saw a post about a similar sound being the steering pump, but the sound is so terribly loud its seems almost impossible for that to be the cause. Oil changes do not solve the problem - already tried, though not with synthetic oil. I doubt synthetic would make a difference as its not a lifter/valve tick noise that I am hearing. As for attempts to solve the problem, I haven't done anything other than change the oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it possible that your timing belt could be loose? I had a similar noise when this happened to my car.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Your starter is shot. The solenoid isn't pulling the gear back off the flywheel on the first start. After its done it once its loose enough to do it again so it doesn't repeat.

·
UMADBREH?
3,460 Posts
I had a similar issue last winter, but nothing ever had to be replaced. But these were only on the REALLY <i>cold</i> cold starts, and never reappeared for me.

If you have a technicians stethoscope (can be found at any parts store) you can hold it on the starter. You'll know right away if the noise is from the starter. Otherwise a ghetto solution is to take a broomstick and hold it against the starter. You'll feel the vibrations and clatter in the handle.

You mentioned your power steering pump making a noise? This was normal for me last winter on them cold cold starts and my pump is still running strong. You could get a little pump conditioner and top off the reservoir, that might help.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@gtmitsu - it's not my ps pump, another user posted that was his problem. I'll check out that stethoscope methods though, thanks. As for the other posts, I'll look at my timing belt and tensioner.

@silvertune - thanks for the suggestion...but this only happens in extremely cold weather. If my starter is shot, wouldn't my problem occur on every "first start" of the day, and not only in very cold weather?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts