Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first winter with the 3G, and I've noticed that when it's really cold out, I have a LOT of trouble getting it into 2nd gear. Like, I really have to force it.

Anything wrong with the tranny here? Or is this an idiocracy?

This is a 5-spd, by the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the same issue. Took the car to the dealer to get the tranny fluid changed. Didn't really do much for the actual issue. Took it back and they're replacing 2nd gear and the 2nd gear syncro under warranty for me. For the most part it's the syncro and it's a common problem i guess. Doesn't want to go in gear at first but once you've been driving for 5 to 10 minutes, everything is fine. The mechanic i talked to said that it's normal for the gears to be a little sticky in the mornings as the rest usually are but the 2nd gear thing is a syncro issue. Guy told me if i was payin for it, it would be about $1000.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
They sell the BG Syncroshift tranny fluid here: (you'll need 3 bottles which they sell for $30): 2000 Eclipse Performance Fluids

I thought they sold the Scott Grey Mix as well but I don't see it listed now. I believe the Scott Grey Mix is just 2 quarts of BG Syncro and 1 quart of something else... (maybe Redlne MTL??) I'm sure a search would yield the answer to that.

A tranny fluid change helped me with cold weather shifts last year. If the fluid change doesn't work then I agree with vedled that a syncro may have gone bad and be in need of replacement. I would also expect to pay around $800-1000 for that :twitch:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts