Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice the clear coat PEELING on the windshield panels are very common with the 3G.
Is there a way to detach them so I can sand off the rid of the old clear coat, and put on a new clear coat. It straight-up looks like a VERY USED car with the clear coat chipping like that.

I can do it while on the car, but I don't want to cover everything around it and clear coat it..and I don't want the risk of the clear coat being "runny" due to the angle the panels are at.
IMG_20210722_103648.jpg
IMG_20210722_103655.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe those are called appliques or windshield molding trim, not sure exactly but yes there is a way to take them off. I highly recommend using a small but sturdy plastic trim tool. It's kind of a lot of work to get it off and you might break a couple fasteners in the process so your best bet is to mask off the surrounding area and clear coat it while still on the car. You shouldn't have to worry about clear coat being runny if you don't spray too much. That's all on you. I would spray two light coats and two medium coats. Or just follow the directions on the can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I notice the clear coat PEELING on the windshield panels are very common with the 3G.
Is there a way to detach them so I can sand off the rid of the old clear coat, and put on a new clear coat. It straight-up looks like a VERY USED car with the clear coat chipping like that.

I can do it while on the car, but I don't want to cover everything around it and clear coat it..and I don't want the risk of the clear coat being "runny" due to the angle the panels are at.
View attachment 44052 View attachment 44053
same thing happend to mine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's true....It's an 2003 so any plastic I hit under the trim would break easy, and it would be difficult to put back on.
I'll try doing it with the trims on, see how that goes.
I should just sand it, and leave it..but it wouldn't match the top trim which has no peeling or cracking at all.
Thank you brother for your advice!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
366 Posts
This is a common problem and has been asked before ..... may I suggest having them done in vinyl wrap... no need for masking

1 - 5 of 5 Posts