Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently timing belt of my son’s 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6 slipped and we replaced it ourselves correctly with recommended way. After the the car started at the first attempt. As we hear some unusual noise, we stopped the motor and did a compression test. All 6 cylinders had compression over 150. But three cylinders couldn’t hold the compression and the gauge pressure went down slowly. Though I searched about the issue, I found it nowhere in the web. Would you please explain the situation we have faced and any solution. Thanks

·
1,114 Posts
The cylinders won't hold pressure indefinitely. If you get 150 psi peak pressure across the board you should be good.

·
1,114 Posts
I'd say 10% or less leakage is good. For more specific information you should refer to the factory service manuals in the 3g general forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say 10% or less leakage is good. For more specific information you should refer to the factory service manuals in the 3g general forum.
Thanks again, Budd ! I couldn't find leak down test chapter in the manual. Would you please send link? And is it a must to perform the test with running temperature ecngine? Because if so, I have to re install the manifold start the engine and remove it again> LOL

·
1,114 Posts
Thanks again, Budd ! I couldn't find leak down test chapter in the manual. Would you please send link? And is it a must to perform the test with running temperature ecngine? Because if so, I have to re install the manifold start the engine and remove it again> LOL
I couldn't find it either. They may not provide a number which is weird. Maybe one of the techs that frequent here have an opinion on acceptable leakage rates. The standard seems to be that 10% or less on a warm engine is good.

Also, yes, a leak down test should be done on a warm engine. The piston ring gap is measurably larger when the engine is cold which raises leakage rates. To get an accurate reading, the engine should at least be warm, if not hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Budd! Ill try it. The car was driven very slowly in a apartment parking way when the timinng belt slipped. After that we crancked the engine several times may be 20-30. So may be we are lucky. Will do the test within a few days and let you know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Buddd. The car runs well without any issue. So I didn't do anything except replacing new T-belt. Let's run some time and see if there is any issue. Thanks for everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts