Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fix a cylinder 1 misfire MIL. It's a 2001 Eclipse with the 3.0 V 6. Did all the basic stuff -- New Plugs, Switched injectors, new wires, cap & rotor. Old plugs looked good, replaced them anyway. Result of compression test is as follows:
#1 - 140 dry/165 wet,
#3 - 180 dry/200 wet,
#5 - 170 dry/190 wet,
#'s 2,4 and 6 were all 180 dry and 210 wet.

Engine has about 90K on it. It's an intermittent issue. Car runs great. Most of the time it's just a pending code, but occasionally it turns the light on. At any rate, it won't pass NYS emissions with a pending code. About ready to tear the head off and look for a burnt valve, or bad head gasket. The shop manual states that the PSI should be around 119, and the max diff between cylinders is 14. Dose not make sense since most of the results I've found on this site have them up around where mine are. Do the results indicate that I have a compression issue with cylinder 1?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Your motor should pull 180-185 psi across the board dry compression. #1 either has a bad valve or more than likely something got in there and chewed up the rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. I guess pulling the head is the next step then? Hoping it's the gasket. If it's a ring, maybe I'll see some scoring in the cylinder wall.

·
Pshyc
1,130 Posts
140psi isn't that bad though and I doubt your check engine is coming on because that. put transfluid in there and test again see if the compression comes up. probably an electrical or computer issue if you changed the injector and the dizzy

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Read his first post. He changed everything. Problems with the distributor pop p0300. 140 psi is below service threshold. Definitely causing the miss.

·
Pshyc
1,130 Posts
Op do the Trans fluid in the cylinder test and see what happens. Drop a few drops in there. Crank it with fuel and spark disabled for a little while and compression test it again. If the compression states the same its a head issue. If it goes up its a ring issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Have you seriously still not read the first post? Course you haven't. He did a wet test before he even made the thread. AND posted the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts