Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Connecting Rods & Assembly

4K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  Guy 
#1 ·
So me and Russ were talking earlier this week about connecting rods. We came upon a interesting point recently. Finding out that the Eclipse has cast iron connecting rod assembly in the 6G72 version of the Engine. However, the 3000GT VR4 & SL versions all had forged steel conencting rods.
Now since Crower Rods are like $1k if someone would be doing a engine build, perhaps another good option would be to get the 3000GT OEM forged steel rods and have the them machined and perhaps cryotreated. That may seem like a good alternative if you can find a good deal for them.

Anyone else want to drop their 2cents on this?

#2 ·
Would the cryo treatment really be necessary since they are already forged? As much high aspirations everyone has for their 3g's I doubt anyone will make enough power to break a forged 3000GT Rod...

#4 ·
ryu said:
Would the cryo treatment really be necessary since they are already forged? As much high aspirations everyone has for their 3g's I doubt anyone will make enough power to break a forged 3000GT Rod...
I don't think it would be need per say, but I think for about $100 you could have them cryo treated for the extra tensile strength. I think if you would get them cryotreated and balanced and machined, etc... they would holdup easily to 600whp. Which I think would be plenty.

#6 ·
TheFranchise said:
might not be a bad deal for a budget build. we need to get measurements and weights to see if its a step in the right or wrong direction
it would be awesome if russ or one of the other engine builders on these boards would be able to do that, compare the 3000GT Rod Assembly to the 2000+ Eclipse Rod Assembly.

I think Russ has a VR4 block at the at his place, so maybe he could compare those parameters. :dunno:

But this might be a good alternative for a good engine build. machining, pistons, clevite bearings, and 3000GT rods, would make a nice short block it seems.

#10 · (Edited)
Tearstone said:
I just have a VR-4 crank in a freshly built short block going into a car this weekend. I still don't see a difference between the 3G cranks vs. the 3KGT cranks.
Thats good to hear. I was afraid I may have missed a step in my engine build by not doing anything with the crank other then having it polished.

#12 ·
perna00 said:
the 3kgt has a different heighth on the stroke. It's too high and will contact the valves. They sent me the wrong pistons when I ordered mine and the machinist showed me the differences in values.
The pistons have a different height, you can compensate with a thicker head gasket like a Cometic. I'm swapping in a 2 bolt VR-4 setup with Pauter Rods & Ross pistons into Warsheeps car this weekend. I'm really curious to see how it's going to run.

#13 ·
I have both VR4 rods and 3g rods in my hands and I can't see a difference in them either. I've also compared them to the 3kgt non VR4 rods and they are also the same.

It's great to have a plethora of parts laying around... :)

#14 ·
PharmEcis said:
I have both VR4 rods and 3g rods in my hands and I can't see a difference in them either. I've also compared them to the 3kgt non VR4 rods and they are also the same.

"Heffe, what is a plethora?" :sam:

#15 ·
PharmEcis said:

Can you check between the 3G rods and 3KGT rods, which are cast and which are forged?

#18 · (Edited)
ryu said:
"Heffe, what is a plethora?" :sam:
pleth·o·ra Audio pronunciation of "plethora" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (plthr-)
n.

1. A superabundance; an excess.

Clipse3GT said:
Can you check between the 3G rods and 3KGT rods, which are cast and which are forged?
I'll see if I can get a nice group shot of 3g vs 3kgt rods. Too bad or maybe for me good that I didn't have to pull my VR4's shortblock apart.

I'll check oil pumps tomorrow to see what the differences are. I love being able to pimp parts between platforms hehe.

If we could bolt up the VR4 oilpump and housing... hehe Can you say oil feed lines taken care of for a TT setup? :)

Since I have to pull the pan off as well to replace the front case w/ oil pump... I'll see if it will bolt up to a 3G block. If so... oil return issue for TT setup solved as well... ;)

#23 ·
I'll see if I can get a nice group shot of 3g vs 3kgt rods. Too bad or maybe for me good that I didn't have to pull my VR4's shortblock apart.

I'll check oil pumps tomorrow to see what the differences are. I love being able to pimp parts between platforms hehe.

If we could bolt up the VR4 oilpump and housing... hehe Can you say oil feed lines taken care of for a TT setup? :)

Since I have to pull the pan off as well to replace the front case w/ oil pump... I'll see if it will bolt up to a 3G block. If so... oil return issue for TT setup solved as well... ;)
Thread revival...

Ever get that picture or determine exactly what the dimensional differences are between the 3KGT rods and the 3G rods?

#19 ·
PharmEcis said:
n.

pimpT :bigthumb:

#20 ·
PharmEcis said:
n.

Apparently youve never seen "The Three Amigos" :noplease:

#22 ·
I don't remember it either? Perhaps my memory is failing as I get older... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.