Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, as the title suggests, I'm looking into buying a 3.0L 2005 eclipse spyder and I wanted to know what I'm getting into. Just some obvious questions to help a noobie get introduced to the car and it's quirks.

1: how are they to daily drive
2: are they big people friendly (6' 3")
3: how's the tuning and aftermarket support
4: are there any big issues or concerns I should know ahead of time
5: anything else worth mentioning

(I put this back here since the reply I got was too this one.)

·
New To Site
2001 Spyder GT
245 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the site .. To answer your questions as asked
#1 They are a fun daily
#2 No .. not at all friendly but you could fit with the top down
#3 Not really a tuner but you can modify it ?
#4 I already answered that already .. you are not gonna fit
#5 Well i guess you could sit in the back seat
Take my advice.. Go sit in the car before you get your hopes up.. My friend is 6.2 and he had the seat as far back on the track cranked down as far as it would go and then had to lean the seat even more to get under the roof. There is a world of knowledge on here about this spyder but what good is it to you if you don`t fit.. Hopefully some one else will jump in and tell me I don`t know what I`m talking about .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I was definitely worried about fitting, but I was mostly comparing it to my old pontiac g6. Here are their two measurement tables compared (g6 has the darker text). I fit into the g6 pretty well. So, maybe I'd fit in the eclipse.

Top down neither is an issue, and seeing as it will be a good weather vehicle, I likely won't drive it with the top up often (much like the g6).

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
#4 I already answered that already .. you are not gonna fit
And, I guess what I meant by #4 was, are there any mandatory or highly suggested things that need to be done to these cars to prolonging their lives and stuff that is generally "everyone should know/do this is they have one" information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And, I guess what I meant by #4 was, are there any mandatory or highly suggested things that need to be done to these cars to prolonging their lives and stuff that is generally "everyone should know/do this is they have one" information.
Well I have the same year and model and I'm 5'11"
I had to crank the seat height to its lowest position to comfortably see under the window frame, though I have the seat about half way forward cuz I personally dont like to fully extend my leg when clutching. Then I had to adjust the steering tilt so I can see the gauges properly, esp the mph. It frankly took a bit of adjusting and I'm still not completely happy bc I put a spinner on the bottom of the steering wheel at the 7 o'clock position so I can steer with my left hand comfortably resting on my lap, which required a lower adjustment of the steering wheel. I've learned to live with it as is. I have no problem with headroom, though, having the seat at its lowest.
So I second the motion of Widgmaster to test drive it and mess with the adjustments. Dont automatically give up on it though based on seat height bc there may be some aftermarket seats that have a lower profile, possibly some of the racing seat brands.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
Hey everyone, as the title suggests, I'm looking into buying a 3.0L 2005 eclipse spyder and I wanted to know what I'm getting into. Just some obvious questions to help a noobie get introduced to the car and it's quirks.

1: how are they to daily drive
2: are they big people friendly (6' 3")
3: how's the tuning and aftermarket support
4: are there any big issues or concerns I should know ahead of time
5: anything else worth mentioning

(I put this back here since the reply I got was too this one.)
1. I love mine for daily driving, 20 year old car (With a number of mods) that still gets 26mpg on the highway. BEfore mods I was normally ay 29-30 mpg.
2. I'm 6'2" and fit great, granted not a spyder but have a sunroof.
3. Small to non-existent unless you want to spend a lot of money. 15 years ago there was much more, but a 20 year old shitbox platform is hard to buy for these days, especially anything of quality. That being said, there are lots of junkyards with these cars out there. For me, I don;t need gobs of power, I spent my money on suspension and handling.
4. Rust for any car that spent time in the north or around salt. Many stories of shock mounts rusting out of the car. Unless they can prove the timing belt has been done, plan on $600-1k to get it done if you are not mechanically inclined.
5. It'll never be fast without a lot of money, but it can be fun for relatively cheap, and they have actually become rare to see around which makes it even more fun to drive I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the answers, you've certainly given me some hope. I have a car lined up out of state that's waiting for the ok on my end, but I am desperately looking for someone in the Kansas City area that has a 3rd gen eclipse that I can just sit in and see if it's a comfortable drive or not. Like, not even to own or drive far. I just need to find one somewhat local to sit in, give the nod, then order the one out of state. But, understandably, I'm having a HELL of a time... Anyone know any tricks to find someone easier than what I've been trying?

·
New To Site
2001 Spyder GT
245 Posts
Crazy thought .. but do you think they might have one in your local auto wreckers junkyard ?? I mean if you just want to sit in one it`s worth a try. Hopefully the interior is okay ..Just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crazy thought .. but do you think they might have one in your local auto wreckers junkyard ?? I mean if you just want to sit in one it`s worth a try. Hopefully the interior is okay ..Just a thought
You're a genius! Thanks! I'll check as soon as I get home and report back (honestly) when I remember! Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Have never had a problem with my eclipses. Even the bone stock RS is a great daily driver.
2. I'm 6'6". 36" inseam. You'll be fine.
3. Not great in the V6 but still achievable if you want to bad enough. More available for the I4 but still not great without some effort.
4. Rusty strut towers. Just rust in general.
5. If you're buying a 20 year old convertible you're gonna want to take a real hard look at the top and all associated parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For a good condition '05 gts spyder with only minor cosmetic imperfections and to my knowledge no mechanical issues, with a functioning and well maintained soft top, what would the suggested price be? I have one I've got my sights on, but I have no real guess as to what a fair price is for the car outside of KBB estimate, which is a good bit lower than asking price. Just wanted to chum the water here and get some opinions from you all. I'm certainly narrowing in on the car assuming all is well and a price can be agreed upon.

·
New To Site
2001 Spyder GT
245 Posts
Out of curiosity I typed in 05 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT and it seems they are selling around 5 to 6 grand at the car lots ...
The link is Canadian prices $5500.00 Canadian is $4374.00

1 - 15 of 15 Posts