Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off: HI! and thanks for taking the time to read.
Now.
He'p!

OK, I have a 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT. Whenever it rains particularly hard, I get leaks. Where? ...pretty much everywhere. The doors piddle at the mirrors (but I found a fix for *THAT* one that I'm going to try), but I also get leaks from both sides of where the weather seal separates when the top goes down. I haven't had the opportunity to check thoroughly for holes, but the water gets *INSIDE* of the stripping and dribbles out even after the rain. So I'm thinking possibly holes there.
The bigger issue is the water buildup in various places inside. The first month or so I had it, we had an insane amount of rain. Pretty much non-stop for a week. A couple days after the rain let up, the whole thing started smelling really, really mildewy. Checked the trunk, found the carpet to be soaked, and when I pulled that all out to clean and dry, the spare tire well had about six inches of standing water in it. Popped the drain plugs, let it drain, cleaned the whole metal with a low-concentration of bleach, dried everything all up, etc.
Now, this time, we had a complete dump of rain. Trunk carpet is dry, but there's very tiny puddle in the wheel well. I haven't checked the side fender yet (had another four inches of water in there once, too). And, when taking turns rather sharply, I'm hearing water behind the back seat. What the hell?
To my knowledge, there are no major holes in my top (one teeny one that I canvas-patched from the inside), and this has never happened in the billion times or so I've washed the car, be it with a pressure-washer or standard hose. Are there drain points somewhere in the chassis that could be letting water *IN*, but not out? Anybody happen to have a diagram of the plug locations? Oh, and it was enough to actually get to my back seats. Just a mild misting on them, it seems, but enough to notice.

I've already plopped a *LOT* of money into this car for just general TLC (previous owner didn't take care of it too well). I can't afford to replace a top, too.

Any ideas? Any extra info needed? It's looking like another downpour is rolling in, or else I'd be outside tearing the interior apart right now.

Thanks again.

·
Topless Monster
540 Posts
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Going to be blunt with you. You're driving an 11 year old convertible. It's going to leak. Mine has done it since '08. The top is in good shape, I replaced the seals, yadda yadda... still leaks. I've learned to deal with it because I, too, don't have the time or money to focus on a new top. I don't drive mine in the rain so it's not a problem until I wash it. As far as your other water problems, I've never heard of any of that happening before :dunno: Good luck with your car.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
that's why i keep mine in the garage..

the good news? a new top is not going to fix your problems--i replaced my top a year or two ago when the rear window started to separate(you cannot order a replacement rear window only), and i still get leaks-- it is the seals that need to be replaced with less-shrunken versions, but if this is what spydergirl replaced, and it didn't fix the problem, then then there really isn't much you can do..

i've heard that using some silicone lubricant on the rubber can cause it to swell to seal better, but haven't tried it yet..

for your water problem-- the rear of the top drains into the car(water runs down the rear window, and into that gap between the car and the top-- this gap runs around both sides on the car), below the small window. i have not had a chance to determine where it goes out the bottom of the car, but i believe it is within 4" of the outside edge of the car.

when my old lebaron conv. had the some water blockage issues, i ended up using a combination of taking out the rear seat panels till i located the problem, and running water over the top only and looking for where it was coming out underneath the car--- btw--rust was clogging the holes, so i ended up putting a garden hose on the roof, and pushing a flathead screwdriver into the drainage hole until i got most of the bits of rust out. after that, i never had to mess with it to the day i sold it.. that car also had random leakage issues, and at the time was about the same age as my current eclipse. it really is just the nature of having a old convertible...

but that drained differently then the eclipses do, so i can't provide much more insight into it because i haven't needed to mess with any of my eclipses drainage systems.

·
hoonigan
562 Posts
also had this issue... if it has soaked completley. you have 2 options. i remove all carpet and seats and pop the drain plugs. 2. raise the car up and pop out the 6 plugs u can get to. but there is also a plug under the back seat on each side above the gas tank. u have to lift the rear to get to them they are under the asphalt sound dampening i promise... the doors are heavy so check the door latch on the car, if the door isnt flust then adjust the catch for the door in, usually there are scratches where u can see original placement. and then seals

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Search for a thread I made. A few people have the problem and posted picture guidance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts