Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse gs with 58k on it and i notice yesterday that my coolant is like a tan color and i use green.I dont know if i need a flush but i just got a new Radiator on 4/26/11 also new upper and lower rat hoses so im lost any ideas please share thx

·
54,481 Posts
You have oil in your coolant from a leak. Could be a head gasket..... let's hope not.
Not necessarily, it could also be caused by someone adding the wrong kind/color of coolant. Also, this isn't problem reports forum...well now it is.

·
54,481 Posts
Don't you just hate it when ninjas sneak into your garage and add strange colored antifreeze to your coolant?
He says he got a new radiator, I assume a shop installed it. Mix green with universal yellow and you get tan. Mix green with orange and you get brown. Just because he puts green in when its low and whats in the bottle was green doesn't mean what was in the block was green. Green coolant all on its own can get pretty nasty looking when it gets old, turns a pale tan/green color. Rust forming in the cooling system can turn any color of coolant some pretty nasty shades of brown in a very short amount of time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And also the radiator is new as of 4/26 was install @ a car shop and they only use anti freeze (green) no mixing with any other color.I'm just confuse is that the radiator is one month old ill would understand if it was the old one i would need a flush but its new one.On tuesday imma get it flush ill update, first time the car would be flush.

·
54,481 Posts
no, it was more or less 'flushed' when they drained the cooling system for the radiator change. you change about 2/3rd's of the coolant when you do that.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
Green anti freeze and yellow anti freeze should both be translucent and if mixed would become a translucent gold-green color ...... but if your coolant is a opaque tan color or has an opaque marbling it has oil in it and it will no longer smell and taste sweet.
Because oil and water don't mix well when combined and run through the impeller in the water pump they foam and make a light brown frothy mixture.

Could the need for a new radiator be a clue as to what is going on with your engine?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you're really worried about it, just flush out the whole system with water, then drain that and add some premixed antifreeze. I bought a beater truck once and when I went to check the antifreeze it was brown and sludgy, kinda looked like someone took a dump in there! It was just pure neglect on the previous owner's part

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got this car 5 months ago im the second owner and it only has 58K and i just got a new radiator in april and its not overheating. im doing a flush tomorrow i will update wish me luck cause after tomorrow im broke!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
UPDATED 5/30/11

Well today i went 2 check why my coolant color is changing i was told the reason why theres pressure in the upper and lower rad hose.Its not od hard you can pump it but there some pressure.Both hose are hot but was still told to get a new thermostat a OEM not a cheap autozone brand or etc.Thats why the fan is taking while 2 circulant cause theres pressure and gonna need 2 bleed it out and we open a lil bit the rad cap and the hose got a little more soft.i will update more tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.