Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search and know this has been discussed, but a couple of the threads are close to a year old and I'm hoping some things might have changed.
I have an '03 Eclipse Spyder GT with all the typical mods including a Greddy Evo 2 cat back.
I drove an '05 Evo MR yesterday and decided I will continue to pour money into my Eclipse. I was a little disappointed with the Evo (maybe my expectations were too high).
From what I've read there appears to be a choice between Ripp’s SDS and Jonny B Good's Turbo kit. With Ripp I need their header for $1,200 plus the Stage 2 kit for $4,300. The turbo is about $3,900.
Can guys with either of these set ups please help me decide?
Thanks

·
5 Speed GT Spyder
313 Posts
The supercharger will be easier to install from my understanding than the turbo, which is the only advantage that I see. I would go turbo though if i were you.

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
just to let you know....johnnybgood doesnt sell the AAI v6 kit anymore. he doesnt sell a v6 kit at all. you would have to talk to PM AAI to get the turbo kit.

with that said, its really hard to say which you should choose. in my opinion, the RIPP is too expensive and you have to wait entirely too long for the AAI turbo kit.

your best bet could be to just build your own turbo kit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andrewken said:
The supercharger will be easier to install from my understanding than the turbo, which is the only advantage that I see. I would go turbo though if i were you.
Is there a reason you say this?

·
5 Speed GT Spyder
313 Posts
The supercharger comes in a kit that has everything you need except headers. It comes with a black box and I believe that it tunes your engine for you, so you do not have to go to a dyno and get it tuned. Also, you are just bolting a supercharger up to your engine with a belt, rather than going through your exhaust. The supercharger kit,IMO, would be something that I would attemp to install most of it myself. The turbo on the other hand, I would leave to a professional.

·
5 Speed GT Spyder
313 Posts
But turbos on the other hand, give a steady PSI after the .5 second lag. The supecharger spins at the same RPMs as your engine, so you will build up more boost as the engine revs up higher.

·
I hate the BOWDENS!!
2,504 Posts
andrewken said:
But turbos on the other hand, give a steady PSI after the .5 second lag. The supecharger spins at the same RPMs as your engine, so you will build up more boost as the engine revs up higher.
:uh: You have it exactly opposite. A turbo builds boost the entire time as your exhaust gets hotter as RPM's rise.

As he said, the supercharger hits full boost early and maintains the steady PSI. ;)

·
I hate the BOWDENS!!
2,504 Posts
andrewken said:
BTW, I have a SUPERCHARGED F.O.R.D.(nice avatar :fawk: ) and I hit full boost early also. :fawk:

Diff types of superchargers, but same thing.

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
RyMac said:
:uh: You have it exactly opposite. A turbo builds boost the entire time as your exhaust gets hotter as RPM's rise.

As he said, the supercharger hits full boost early and maintains the steady PSI. ;)
so youre saying the hotter the exhaust gets,the more boost you will run with a turbo?

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
so the amount of boost you run depends on how hot your exhaust gets?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
RyMac said:
A turbo builds boost the entire time as your exhaust gets hotter as RPM's rise.

No it doesnt. Heat has nothing to do with it. Turbos are not powered by heat.

·
I hate the BOWDENS!!
2,504 Posts
Eclipsed4utoo said:
so youre saying the hotter the exhaust gets,the more boost you will run with a turbo?
Yes, hence why they say you are continually making horsepower with a turbo, until you hit boost limit as he said.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
RyMac said:
Yes, hence why they say you are continually making horsepower with a turbo, until you hit boost limit as he said.
The exhaust air spins a turbine, that is what makes boost, not the air temp. Thats why you have an intercooler, not a space heater...

1 - 20 of 153 Posts